Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Residency permit & "police checks" for Poland

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by flighty, Mar 19, 2009.

1. flighty

flighty New Member

I am a business manager who may well be transferring from the UK to Poland and I would like some help to understand the above. I had a conviction for assault when I was much younger (14 years ago) which was a stupid mistake I have since learned from and I am now in a respected position at a large company.

My worry is that I have heard there can be checks on this as part of the residency permit application (at the discretion of the authorities they can ask for evidence of no convictions in your home country). My conviction was a long time ago and not serious (and it did not stop me getting a work permit for the US in the past) but I would like to know
    1) will I have to declare it (in the uk I don't have to declare it as it was so long ago) or supply evidence of no convictions
    2) would it affect my chances of getting a permit to stay and work in poland for 2 years

any info/advice would be appreciated!

2. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Here in Canada we have what is known as 'Pardon Services'. I believe, after a set time, it is sealed. I do not know how it works, so I can not inform you correctly. Check with a lawyer where you are. The lawyer can check into if there is a similar service there and here and see if your record can be sealed. Therefore you may not have to declare it. Good luck.

3. vipservice

vipservice Member

City:
    Warsaw -Poland
    From the 01.02.2009 you do not have to declare this fact.
    The law has changed.