Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Relationship with an asylum seeker in UK

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by bubbles3, Jul 22, 2010.

1. bubbles3

bubbles3 Member

City:
    london
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    H there, i have got myself into a nightmare of a situation and dont have anyone to talk to. I have been in a relationship with an asylum seeker here in the uk for a year and a half. I knew his situation straight away and wanted to avoid it but you cannot help who you fall in love with. Thing is he has just been refused asylum and is going to appeal. He on actual fact came here on a student visa long before i met him and due to financial circumstances broke his visa and was working illegally. He panicked and claimed asylum under a false name. I know alot of people will disagree with this as i did aswell but when he explained i understood. He worked so hard to save to get here to better his life and was doing well but had not been quite as prepared as he thought he was to support himself throughout his studies so lost his college placement and worked illegally fulltime. Immigration caught him but he really didnt want to go home with nothing after working so hard to get here. He always thought he would go home though until he has met me. Now my problem is can he tell the home office he lied and go back home and i marry him back here? Or would he be banned from uk for lying? Also he can appeal but i am a very honest person and this lies is eating me up. Please can i have your opinions on what to do? I have been breaking my heart and feel so lost!

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    The best course, as far as I can tell, would be to get married in Church of England, register your marriage and then he goes back home on his own. That he can avoid getting a 10 year ban which is obvious in this case since he has decieved the Home Office not once but twice.

You will need to find out with your local registrar office on the procedure to register a wedding that takes place in the church and see what they require. Alternatively, you can get married in his home country and then apply for spouse visa for him. I am assuimg you are a British citizen.

Make sure you start collecting as much evidence of your relationship as possible because even though, the 10 year ban, lets say he gets one, wouldn't apply in case of a spouse visa application, the first thought the ECO is gonna have is, this is a marriage of convenience.

Good luck

3. bubbles3

bubbles3 Member

City:
    london
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    Thanks so much for your reply it has put me at some ease and i really appreciate your non judgemental attitude towards my situation.

4. sherryfairy33

sherryfairy33 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    Hey bubbles read your info and thought it sounded way to familiar as i was in a relationship also with an asylum seeker for nearly two years, he just recently wrote me an email saying to me to move on as he didnt want me dealing with his issue... He got caught coming to see me also worked illegally, lied about his name, and couldnt finish his studies..... This guy is now living in liverpool still waiting on his papers, told me he wanted to marry me and have a family, he never would let me go to his court appeals to see wat was really being said or really going on he lived in london to start of with just sounds all to familiar :|

5. bubbles3

bubbles3 Member

City:
    london
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    Sorry to hear about your story ....im just hoping mine doesnt turn out the same. He has got his appeal date on 30th of this month and the lawyer thinks that he might get it from living with me and our relationship and the fact i couldnt settle in libya with him so fingers crossed. I feel absolutly sick thinking about it. Even if he does get allowed to stay i still have to deal with lie of his identity. It is an absolute nightmare and i wish i wasnt in the situation but you cant help who you fall in love with. Eeeekkkkk!!!!!!

6. sherryfairy33

sherryfairy33 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    I really hope it works out well for you bubbles, i have moved on but i just cant get over the fact that he has totally wiped me out of his life as if i never existed..... I will never understand it but im not going to crack my head trying because it would get me down.... I have since met an amazing guy that treats me like im the only woman on the planet which makes a difference, go get married if yur heart wants it and live like you both have never lived before because your lives will be so much better and you both will be free of any burdens which will make it easier on your relationship... My prayers and thoughts are with you :)

7. bubbles3

bubbles3 Member

City:
    london
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    Thanks very much and good luck to you x