Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Question on British Citizenship vs EEA4 for non-EEA national

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by jockey, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jockey

jockey Member

Hi,

I have a query regarding eligibility and process for British citizenship in context of EEA regulations.

I am a non-EEA national married to EEA national. I came to UK in Jan 2006 on a work permit and my spouse followed a month later (Feb 2006). Since then we have continued to live in the UK and I received the EEA Residence permit (via form EEA2) in Jan 2008, expiring in Jan 2013. My spouse has been exercising her treaty rights via self-employment and permanent employment throughout this period.

Since I have been in the UK for 5 years and 10 months, I assume that I automatically qualified for permanent residence at the end of 5 years i.e. Jan 2011. I have read several forums and looked at the UKBA regulations on EEA/British Citizenship but I am unclear on whether I can apply for British Citizenship directly next year in Jan 2012 e.g. at the end of my 6 year stay here OR do I have to first apply for permanent residence via EEA4 application. The UKBA site as well as forums provide conflicting information on this.

What I have managed to glean is that EEA4 form will allow me to make a stronger case for British citizenship (with less evidence needed) but I don’t feel like wasting another 5-6 months to get the permanent residence stamp through Home Office.

Any advice on this or examples from individuals in similar situation would be very helpful.

Thanks
    J

P.s. Does it make sense to have a lawyer/immigration adviser help or process the application in this case?

2. ind_dude

ind_dude Active Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English,Hindi,Punjabi
    Work permit and EE4 are seperate routes. If you've completed 5 yrs on work permit, you can apply for ILR otherwise your 5 yrs on EE4 finishes after spending 5 yrs in uk with eea national family member.