Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish Citizenship [part2]

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by d7, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neuman

Neuman Active Member

City:
    New York City
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    I think only certain official documents can have an apostille attached to them. For example, i'm sure check stubs from my grandparents reparations checks don't need apostilles.

I wish all we had to do was prove polish citizenship beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't have birth certificates or Polish passports from my grandparents, but I have so much other less important stuff... do they really think I'm faking it?

2. susano

susano Active Member

City:
    New York City
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Hah I don't know if they would think you are faking it. But yes, I agree, it's frustrating trying to locate documents from Poland because record keeping there was just not as good.

With respect to birth certificates, they may be helpful, but they do NOT actually prove citizenship. They just provide information about where a person was born, which could lead to other resources.

Again, because I haven't completed the process myself, only take what I say with a grain of salt.

3. Harjeet

Harjeet Well-Known Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Through the Canadian Archives I got the records for my grandparents arrive in Canada. The records are from 1928 and 1930 and they are very complete with information. Their passport numbers, date of issue and place of issue are listed and I have my grandma's passport and naturally the numbers are the same.

Do you think Poland archives, passport office would be able to look up a old passport number for records and if so who would I email, call or write?

4. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Addicted member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Apostilles are only needed if the original document is signed by a notary or the government office that issued it.

The purpose of the Apostille is to prove that the signture on the original document is true.

5. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Canadian Archives

Harjeet

What is the website address you used to find the documents on your relatives? Right now the closest I have found so far in reference to what you mentioned was www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908-e.html.

Neuman

I tried that address you gave me and I have yet to hear back from them as of yet. But I will try again and see what they have to say. Thanks again.

6. Neuman

Neuman Active Member

City:
    New York City
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Re: Canadian Archives

Maybe find someone who speaks German and have that person call the office? Just to check if they are the right people to even handle your request.

7. Harjeet

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    gjene

I got the records from the Immigration Records (1925-1935) database on the Canadian Genealogy Centre website at http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/immigration-1925/index-e.html. When using the database, keep in mind that it is not necessary to enter a search term in every field. If you do not know the year, ship, port, etc., leave those fields blank.

If you find your family, this is the order form page http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/copies/index-e.html. I ordered online, chose photocopy and filled in the form. Now this is important, at the bottom of the page just after the shipping method there is a section "Special Instructions" make sure you request a Certified Copy, it cost NOTHING and it makes the records Official Canadian Documents.

The documents I got were great and it cost me $3.29 for 4 pages including postage and they took about 1.5 months to arrive.

There is also the 1940 National Registration records. Those records include details such as date and place of birth, year of immigration, work history, military service, etc. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-911.007-e.html. It didn't get this one because it costs $47.25 and I don't know yet if I need more documentation, but it looks to be quite good.

8. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Thanks Harjeet

I had gone to the Canadian immigration office here in my city to enquire about that. But they were not able to provide me the exact information you were able to provide me. All they were able to tell me was to go to the archives to find the documents I wanted.

9. Harjeet

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    You're welcome.

The immigration documents from the Canadian Government has passport numbers on it. I am trying to find the ministry or archive in Poland that might have passport records from pre-WWII. If I figure out who, where to write to I will let you know. I can't write in Polish so I am hoping they will respond to my English email.

10. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    As this topic reached 575 replies, I decided to split it (also a demand from Harjeet).
    This part is now read only and the discussion follows :arrow: here