Forum Croatia

Forum of expats in Croatia: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Planning Your Move to Croatia

Discussion in 'Croatia' started by texkourgan, Jul 9, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome!

Are you planning to move to Croatia and are worried about the moving process? One of the first steps to succeed with your expatriation is to properly prepare yourself for the move.

How should you arrange the move? Can you do-it-yourself with help from friends, or do you need help from a professional international mover?

What do you plan to take and to leave? Will you need all your furniture, or will it be easier/cheaper to buy most things once you have arrived? Are electrical appliances compatible in Croatia?

How can you bring your car? Is it worth it?

What tips and advice can you share with us about your move to Croatia? If you are preparing for your move currently – what questions do you have? If you have already completed a move – what are your tips?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. fido

fido New Member

Living In:
    Hungary
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Wow, what a big, empty forum! I just found my way here from an email I received from EasyExpat. I used the France forum for a while when I was looking at buying a house there.
    I have been living in Hungary since November 2011. I really like it here but I'm finding it very difficult to learn Hungarian and hardly anyone speaks English. I'm now considering moving the short distance to Croatia because of this language barrier problem. It's not that Croatian is easier to learn (although I hope it might be) but that it will be easier to get by with just English. I've found lots of young people and a few middle aged people can at least speak basic English in Croatia.
    I did not consider Croatia before the country joined the EU and even now it is not as easy to relocate there than other EU countries, because they still make you apply for a visa and you have to be there for 5 years before you can be granted permanent resident status.
    In terms of the physical move, in my case I will be initially sharing my time between the 2 countries. If I sell my house in Hungary before 2015 I will suffer a tax penalty similar to capital gains tax. I therefore plan to buy a cheap house to renovate in Croatia and will not stay there full time until the most urgent jobs are completed. Some of the houses I've viewed do not have internal water supplies, flush toilets, bathrooms etc. I had always thought of Croatia as being more modern and affluent than Hungary but I'm finding the reverse to be the case. For example, one village I went to is only reached along gravel roads.
    There are a lot of illegally built buildings in Croatia but a lot of these have recently been "legalised". It is therefore essential if buying a property to get the paperwork checked by an expert.

3. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Welcome to the forum & thanks so much for sharing your insight!

I would recommend checking out the Guide to Zagreb (written by an expat who lives there) for tips on life in Croatia. Also, expat blogs in Croatia are a great resource.

Hopefully your post will inspire other to share their story!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fido

fido New Member

Living In:
    Hungary
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Well it is about a year since my last post so I will give an update. I did buy a house in Croatia, quite near the border with Hungary, so I can drive between the 2 houses in about an 1 hr 20 mins. I got the place last April and since then I have been splitting my time between the 2 countries. The house is in a nice peaceful rural setting and has a lot of potential but needs a fair amount of work. So far I have put in a septic tank sewage system and am half way through installing solid fuel central heating. There is no kitchen at the moment so I have to wash dishes in the bathroom. I plan to move in full time in April or May, as I have someone wanting to rent my house in Hungary for 6 months.
    The house is in a tiny village near the small town of Durdevac. It cost 14,000 Euros, slightly less than I paid for a similar size property in Hungary. So far I have found most people to be friendly and helpful and I am convinced that life will be better for me in Croatia than Hungary. The son of the woman who sold me the house speaks English and we have exchanged many emails although we have never met, as he lives in Zagreb. He told me about a local wifi internet scheme and organised it for me. He has also advised me on numerous other queries. The family in Hungary who sold me the house there have been equally helpful but none of them speak English, which is the big difference.

5. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello and welcome back :wave:
    Thanks a lot for the update. Do you speak the local language or only English ? And if so, how do you do when with local builders, admin paper etc ?