Forum Paris

Forum of expats in Paris: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Paris: best place to stay with work near Velizy

Discussion in 'Paris' started by lorcanlaw, Apr 5, 2004.

1. lorcanlaw

lorcanlaw New Member

Hi everyone,

I am all new here just looking for some general help and advise. I am a 23 years old male, born in Hong Kong and educated in England. I've been working for 2 years with my company now and they have given me a chance to work at the Paris office starting from June 2004.

I have spent one year in Toulouse working as a student before, so living in France will not be totally strange to me. However, I know Paris will be different.

I am having real trouble deciding where I am going to live Paris. The office will be in Velizy so not too close to the center. I would rather not take forever to go to work in the morning so I will have to compromise where I am going to live against social life. Or can anyone tell me otherwise?

I've been looking in maps and it seems like Paris area 14 will be the middle between the center and Velizy so it will be the natrual choice. However, I have no idea if the area is any good. Or any other areas for that matter. I am thinking of living on my own or even apartment share if a really good place comes up. I have a budget of about 700 euros per month. Can anyone give some recommendations?

Thank you and if you just want someone to write English to that's fine too.

Yours sincerely,
    Lorcan

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hi Lorcan,

I moved you message because the appropriate section for your question is accommodation.

I would recommand the 14th or 15th arrondissement. You have also to make it convenient in term of transport if you stay in Paris or near Paris. I think Velizy is on line RER C. Being close to RER B to reach the connection or on a direct metro line from the 15th or 14th or 16th (but that's the poshest) could be fine. You can also look at Gentilly (RER B) or Vanves (metro).

For the last few years rents in Paris have raised a lot. So I would say that you are lucky if you can find a studio or a small 1 bedroom flat nowadays in Paris for 700 €. You can have some help with our pages Paris/Accommodation.

Best of luck

[%sig%]

3. halfbreed88

halfbreed88 New Member

Hey Lorcan,

Just like you, I am currently working in Hong Kong, and have been offered by my company to relocate to Paris this summer...

My office is located in the center of Paris though, near the Pont Neuf, so I will probably try to find something in the 2nd or 3rd district...

Anyway, if you'd like to chat some more and share experiences, send me an email... halfbreed88@hotmail.com

Later!

[%sig%]

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hey, why do you try to find only in the 2nd or 3rd arrondissement? Do you intend to walk to work only? Paris is not that big and any area with a direct metro line to your work seems good. A residential 15th or popular and cosmopolitan 20th. Some areas in the 9th and 17th (with a lot of Englsih speaking people around) are nice as well... ;-)
    Good luck

[%sig%]