Forum Sweden

Forum of expats in Sweden: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to sweden

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by williamhenry1, Apr 12, 2012.

1. williamhenry1

williamhenry1 New Member

Living In:
    Hungary
    Nationality:
    Batswana (BW)
    Languages:
    english
    i am a newly graduated doctor from hungary in the eu and i am married to an eu national and have an eu permit, and we are planning to move to sweden in the next couple of months. my wife still has a 1 and half year more left in medical school in sweden, so she cant fully join me in sweden, she will be visiting me alot while i will be in sweden.
    since i am not an eu citizen but have an eu family permit, i dont know how easy it will be for me to settle in sweden really. already i have recieved a swedish medical licence to practice as a doctor in sweden, and i am learning swedish as well.
    having gone through the swedish immigration website, it seems that since my wife who is an eu citizen wont join me immediately, then i would have to apply as a non eu citizen on my own to be able to stay in sweden. albeit, i can only apply for a work permit if i have an offer of employment.
    pls if anyone could give me some advice, on how to go about this or if anyone has being in the same experience as me, would really appreiciate some advice as well.

i know the eu law says for non eu citizens, married to eu citizens, they can only exercise the freee movement as long as their spouse is with them.. thanks

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Start with the expat guide to Stockholm. It offers a complete guide to moving abroad. It sounds like you are well prepared and have taken the recommended steps of acquiring permits and learning the language. You should also check out expat blogs for Stockholm.

Anyone else been through the process or have tips?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. williamhenry1

williamhenry1 New Member

Living In:
    Hungary
    Nationality:
    Batswana (BW)
    Languages:
    english
    sorry my wife is studying in hungary and she is a hungarian citizen and she will only joing me fully when she is finshed from medical school, but while and hopefully when i start working in sweden, she will be visiting me all the time and i myself.. just i hope if myself having and eu permit will make things easy for me when i apply for a work and residence permit in sweden

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hello and welcome to EasyExpat.com.

You must indeed be with your wife to exercise the free movement right. However we could imagine that your wife is joining you at the start for the few days/weeks that you need to establish yourself in Sweden. It is a bit tricky as you will need your wife to be resident in Sweden with you for you to be able to work without applying for a non EU working permit.
    The issue will probably be if the Swedish authority see that your wife is not resident with you in Sweden when you apply for permits.

5. williamhenry1

williamhenry1 New Member

Living In:
    Hungary
    Nationality:
    Batswana (BW)
    Languages:
    english
    well the thing is she cant be away from school for too long, she is doing her clinicals in medical school in hungary. even if she moved with me, she did have to have a job or something doing to be able to also exercise her right as an eu citizen.

6. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Indeed when you are married to an EEA national you may be able to work in the EU country without restriction so long as the family member is ‘exercising a Treaty right in the UK’. Generally, this means that they are either employed, self-employed, self-sufficient or a student.

Unfortunately as your wife is still student in Hungary you won't be able to use that right and will need to apply for a work permit.

7. Maria Helena

Maria Helena New Member

City:
    Rio de Janeiro
    Living In:
    Brazil
    Nationality:
    Brazilian (BR)
    Languages:
    Portuguê, english, espanol
    I'm a doctor and want to move to Sweden. I studied in Brazil and would like to know if is possible work as a doctor in Sweden and what I have to do to. Thanks.
    Maria Helena
    mhsf_2@hotmail.com

8. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...