Forum Paris

Forum of expats in Paris: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Paris

Discussion in 'Paris' started by Barbara, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Barbara

Barbara New Member

Hi,
    My name is Barbara and I live in San Francisco. I would like to move to Paris and wonder if anyone can give me any advice about getting a job there. I'm in Finance
    Thanks

2. 0

0 Guest

I am from Paris. What kind of job are you currently seeking ? I can help you.
    Do you have e-mail adress or tel number where I can reach you.

See you.

3. Karen

Karen Member

City:
    Paris
    Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français
    I too am in San Francisco and have decided to move to Paris with my boyfriend. I have experience as an administrator (currently with a world-wide American company) and my boyfriend is in software. Any opportunities? I would really like to get a job teaching English (I have a BA in that), but is that area too saturated?

4. 0

0 Guest

My roomate and I are looking to move to Paris in the next three months. We both have pleanty of computer experience (including DVD Authoring) but both want to get jobs as a bartender or whatever works.

Please let me know!

5. patricia

patricia New Member

i am likewise planning a move to paris in the early summer of next year. not sure about what i'll do for work but i do have the right to work there. anyone have favorite sites for information, etc.? housing of course will be main concern.
    best wishes
    patricia

6. 0

0 Guest

Hi,
    Of course your favorite site of information should be EasyExpat! ;-)

As you might have seen, you can find a lot of information on our accommodation section: <http://www.easyexpat.com/paris_en/accommodation_finding-accommodation.htm>

A lot of English speaking people use FUSAC (the French USA Contact magazine). Be careful a friend of mine had a nasty landlady through that link. But I must recognise that often they are really kind.

Depending on your budget, the market is quite difficult curently eith a lot of students that go to Paris with the beginning of the University year. You can also find sharing around Paris (Mairie de Clichy, Vanves...)

Good luck,

Cyril

7. 0

0 Guest

8. Robert

Robert Member

City:
    Amsterdam
    I AM LOOKING FOR ANY JOB IN PARIS. AND HELP ON GETTING APARTMENT?
    PLEASE E.MAIL BACK THANK YOU !!!!

9. 0

0 Guest

I too (big surprise here) am really hoping to move to Paris. I would love heare any tips that anyone has. I have a degree in interior design.

10. 0

0 Guest

What tips do you want to know? Do you have any specific question? Do you have a job offer over there or do you plan to look for once in the country?

11. 0

0 Guest

I do not have any job offer or plan currently. This is more in the research stage. I guess I just don't know where to start. Do you think I should look for a job in my area (I am a recent graduate without a lot of experience). Or - do you think I should look into something like an au pair job. Would that be easier?
    Also - I don't speak the language. So another idea that I have been playing with is going to graduate school there. Although it would put me farther into dept, it would give me a chance to experience living in Paris without the BIG commitment of leaving my family so permenently. Do you think this is a more reasonable approach?

12. 0

0 Guest

Hi Folks,

After reading all this, I think that Paris is going to be completely packed with American people next summer. :)

American people might not like us for political reasons, but we (the Parisians) love them.

I just want to welcome all Americans In France.
    I wish them all the best for their job/flat search.

Cheers

Edouard.

13. 0

0 Guest

HI,
    I'm a student in Paris, right now i live with a friend of mine but I have to find a flat and it is quite complicated.
    Because I don't know anybody who could be my garant in France, it is quite a responsability so people get sacred. Do you have any other solutions to find appartements in paris (with a limited budget 350-500 euros)?
    How do othr student do, i guess it is with their university, i go to a private school. Do you know a good agency?
    Thank you

14. 0

0 Guest

Hi,
    You can have a look at our information on the Paris/accommodation section:
    <http://www.easyexpat.com/paris_en/accommodation_finding-accommodation.htm>
    and
    <http://www.easyexpat.com/paris_en/accommodation_rent-house-flat.htm>

In addition, you could try with HESTIA:<http://www.hestia.fr/>

Good Luck

15. Fran

Fran Well-Known Member

City:
    Londres
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English, Español, Français
    You really think that french really love americans ..?
    it's a jok

16. Fran

Fran Well-Known Member

City:
    Londres
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Farell forget about the agencies
    best thing to do for you is : cite internationale or just try to get sone links on the web for sharing a flat :
    just go on great google and then type colocation ( partager appartement ) etc ...
    i know there's a quite useful site specific for flat share

good luck

Fran

17. 0

0 Guest

Hi!

I am a business graduate, speak German and English (no sweat there as I'm irish) and am a qualified piano teacher. I have basic French but am planning on up that level before i get there. I have a few questions and would be grateful if you could offer any advice in response.

1. Should I do a TEFL course before I get there, to up my chances of getting a job, or does the world and its mother in Paris have one already?

2. What demand is there for piano lessons from home?

3. Are there any companies that often take on graduates with English and German?

4. Any other advice?

Thanks,

Sinead.

18. 0

0 Guest

Hi,
    1. I don't think that the TEFL will be of much use in France. My feeling is that it's more a level certification for international graduations. By talking to French people they will probably see immediatly what is your level in French (and they might be impressed?). If you have ever talked English to a French guy, did you care about how many points he scored at the TEFL exam or did you judge with the level of conversation?
    2. I assume that it's like in England or Eire... you've got a lot of private courses ... however it might be a bit difficult to leave only on that.
    3. Depending on your level of French of course... but English speakers are quite welcome in a lot of companies in Paris.
    4. Have a look carefully on EasyExpat and you will find a lot of answers. Ask you questions on the forum... and when you are over there send us some contributions <http://www.easyexpat.com/en/contrib/default.htm>
    Good luck

19. 0

0 Guest

I have a degree in interior design and would love to hear your thoughts on finding a job either in that area or (because I am not stuck to that idea) another job that would be in a creative area (and still pay enough to live off of).
    Do you think going to school there first would be a better way to figure out where I could get my foot in the door?

Thank You for any input anyone has.

Tracy

20. Fran

Fran Well-Known Member

City:
    Londres
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages: