Forum Geneva

Forum of expats in Geneva: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Geneva and Looking For Apartment

Discussion in 'Geneva' started by Nacnud, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Nacnud

Nacnud New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    British french
    My fiancee and i are moving to geneva and are looking for a short term solution to our housing needs. Ideally a short term apartment for a few weeks while we look for a place and the right area. Any help is appreciated. Budget is a consideration as there seems to be such a wide variety of costs. Two bedrooms perfect. One bedroom would be ok.
    Thanks

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Have you checked out EasyExpat's guide to Geneva? There is some helpful information pertaining to your situation under "Finding Accomadation" (http://www.easyexpat.com/en/geneva/acco ... dation.htm)

"Some permits (B and C) imply that you are resident in Switzerland, the "cross-border" G permit means that you must live in France and work in Switzerland as a "frontalier". Depending on your category, you may look for an accommodation either in the canton of Geneva, either in France in the areas of Ain and Haute-Savoie (Gex, St Julien en Genevois, Annemasse...).

Members of the Union Suisse des Professionnels de l'Immobilier de Genève (USPI) manage about 70% of the letting accommodation in Geneva (residential and commercial premises). Set up in 1879, with the name of Société des Régisseurs, USPI is a professional estate association that groups today about forty active members in property management, broker and surveyor business.

The lodging service of the Centre d'Accueil Genève Internationale (CAGI) gives a list of vacancies of accommodations (bourse du logement du CAGI) for international organisations, NGO, Consulates, International Sport Federations. USPI-Geneva section is one of the main member of CAGI and get regular updates and offers through the network.

However searching may be difficult as the market in properties is currently in crisis in Geneva with very few vacancies. As demand exceeds offer, it is useless to post accommodation search ads, chances are low that someone will answer.

Some tips to finding accommodation...

In the ad section published by free magasines:

* Genève Home Informations (GHI) ( http://www.ghi.ch),
    * 022 (twice a month, on Monday)
    * Tout l'immobilier ( http://www.toutimmo.ch), every week, on Monday, with more than 200 000 prints.

Newspapers:

* Each Monday, the additional Leman Express of 24 heures and of La Tribune de Genève publishes several ad pages throughout the French-speaking areas of Switzeland.
    * On Tuesday, La Tribune de Genève publishes its own accommodation section.
    * Each Wednesday: the additional accommodation print of the Temps.

On the Internet :

* http://www.geneveimmobilier.ch (about twenty estate agencies, 80% of the market),
    * http://www.swissimo.ch,
    * http://www.uspi-geneve.ch (USPI) : you can access the websites of the members. Better than subscribing on the agency website, go and meet them directly as a face to face contact is always better."

best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dmomod

dmomod New Member

City:
    Geneva
    Living In:
    Switzerland
    Nationality:
    Swiss (CH)
    Languages:
    English, French, German
    Hi,

I'm renting out a nice furnished 2 1/2 apartment in Champel. It's a residential area.
    The adress is Ch. des Crêts de Champel, 4 - 1206 Geneve, so that you can look on a map.
    There is a bus station 20 meters from the door and 80 meters the first big supermarket.

In the apartment there is a kitchen, a bedroom, a living roon and a bathroom. The decoration is modern and design. There is a washing machine and a dryer in the building.

TV, Internet (wifi), Electricity, Heating, everything is included in the price.

Now the price will depend on how long you ll be willing to rent out my apartment.

If we were talking for a year the price would be 2'200 CHF all included.

If you need it for a month or two I can do it but I will need a bit more money.

I'm renting out my apartment as I'm myself goign to Copenhagen for work starting 1st Dec.

Let me know your toughts.

Best regards,

David

4. shrewtea

shrewtea New Member

City:
    denver
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english, hindi, gujarati, russian, thai
    Hi David,

I am interested in the apartment you have listed. I am going to be arriving in Geneva at the end of december on a three month contract, with the possibility of a longer stay depending on whether my contract is extended or not. CHF 2'200 is very much at the upper level of what I can afford, but it sounds as though the location is quite good, and so it would be worth it. Is there public transportation to the United Nations from the bus stop outside the apartment building? Please do get in touch with me if you have the place still available.

Thanks,
    Shruti