Forum Open Bar

Forum of expats Open Bar: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving abroad - your number one want...?

Discussion in 'Open Bar' started by belonghere, Jul 24, 2015.

1. belonghere

belonghere New Member

Living In:
    New Zealand
    Nationality:
    New Zealander (NZ)
    Languages:
    English
    I have just moved home from London to New Zealand, and it’s pretty awesome being reminded how lucky I am to have a place where a) I know so many people and b) life is so easy. I don’t have to think about anything and everything works just as I expect it to. Plus, my mum is super excited to have me over for dinner every Sunday night.

This is the polar opposite of when I moved to London, when all I wanted was to figure out how to get out of the house and meet new people. Someone in London even said to me… “When you’re over 30, it’s ten times harder to make new friends”. Talk about a disappointment! That one comment made it seem so much harder to break through invisible “friend” barriers… especially until I got up the courage to join new groups and make new friends (about six months in).

So that got me thinking – as expats, what got you stuck in a rut moving to a new country? Was it making new friends, culture shock, language barriers? And what was the one thing you wanted more than anything when you moved? My number one thing – someone to tell me to change my mind set, and just do it.

Is this a shared issue we have all faced? What got you stuck?

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    I haven't had the problem when I came to London (a long long time ago) as I quickly organised myself some get-together. Nowadays it's even easier with social networks (at my time I needed to display posters in diverse foreign institutes).

Here at EasyExpat.com we can even help you publicize your meet-up if you post or example in that discussion (same in any destination forum): expat-meet-ups-new-zealand-t35962.html

See you soon on the forums :wave:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. belonghere

belonghere New Member

Living In:
    New Zealand
    Nationality:
    New Zealander (NZ)
    Languages:
    English
    So here is a question, and one which I have struggled with myself.... meet-up groups are great, but.... what if a) you don't want to meet with expats, you want to get involved with the locals or b) you are so shy / nervous about meeting people for the first time, you can't even get the courage to go to a meet-up.

It's a true story - I'm interested to know if others have had these issues, and how they addressed them. What drove you to make a change?

4. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hmmm if you are so shy to go to a meet-up group, that is a problem. However if you already know 1 or 2 people, you can try to drag them along, that should help boosting your confidence.
    Regarding meeting local, it takes time, opportunity and luck. I know some expats who barely know people but other expats, even after 15 years in the country. On the other hand, community engagement and activity can help a lot meeting locals.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...