Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Marrying in Spain + "legalized" documents - HELP!

Discussion in 'Spain' started by marenia, Oct 1, 2005.

1. marenia

marenia New Member

Hi. I'm trying to get married in Spain. We have a list of requirements obtained at the Registry, but some are confusing and we haven't received much help from them.

My partner is not a EU national and lives in Spain. I am Italian and my legal residence is in the UK. I applied for a Spanish residence card in April and I'm still waiting for the outcome (been told to go back in December to see if there's any news-don't get me started).

The requirements we are having trouble with are:
    -Proof of residence. How can I prove my residence in the UK during the last 2 years? I am afraid I've been a bit lax and never registered with the electorate register until this year. Does anyone know if a letter from my employer would suffice?
    -Proof that I am free to marry (fe de solteria). How do I prove that? Is it a sworn statement that one signs at the Register or is there something else involved?
    -Legalised documents. According to the information we were given, documents must be have an "apostilla". Usually it's the consulates that give that, but when I rang the Spanish consulate in London (took me a whole week to get someone to answer the phone), they didn't know what I was talking about and I was told I was given the wrong information. According to the person who answered the phone, they only certify copies or translations, but not originals if they are in Spanish. Which brings us to another issue.
    -Translations. Again, according to the printoout we have from the Register, Translations can only be done by a translator registered with the Consulate. When I rang London, I was told to do the translation MYSELF and they would certify it. Great, couldn't be easier, but would the Register in Spain accept documents in those conditions? Has anyone got any experience with that? The Spanish consulate won't give me any information. Once I go to Spain in November, it will be very difficult for me to come back to fill in the gaps.
    -Passport. I am asuming that my EU passport won't need to be translated. Is that so?

If anyone has any experience in this, I will be very greatful if they could give me information or offer any suggestions. Thanks.

2. brownbonno

brownbonno Active Member

Re: Marrying in Spain + "legalized" documents - HE

Hi,

Firstly,you didn`t specify if your non EU partner is legally resident in Spain.
    As per your question on proof of residence for the last 2 prs.Your I talian embassy in UK can do that for you.

3. Plaga

Plaga New Member

Hi Marenia,

I am Spanish married to a non EU national (he used to live in the UK) and I believe I can clarify a little bit your questions.

Proof of residence: in the case of my husband we just submitted a sworn declaration made before a Notary stating where he had lived during the last 2 years (he also didn't have any proof of residence). I believe a letter from your employer would also work. I suggest you bring both. Also, if you have been registered in the Italian embassy in London, then what brownbonno says it's true. That would be the easiest to do.

Fe de solteria: this is usually a letter stating that you are not married. I believe you must have in Italy some registry for births, marriages and changes in civil status. Perhaps, if you are registered with the Italian embassy you can obtain such letter from them. If not, most likely you will have to get it from the Italian registry. In this case the Italian embassy should be able to inform you who can produce the letter.

Legalised documents: the Spanish embassy in the UK was right, they are not the ones authorised to legalise documents in this case. Most countries in the world have agreed to have a standard format in order to consider legal documents valid in another country. This form is called "apostilla/apostille". Italy, UK and Spain work on this basis.
    When you ask for the official documents such birth certificates, single status letter, etc. you should also tell them that you want them to be with international effect. They should be able to advise on how to get the apostille. The apostille is a way of saying that the person signing an official document had the authority to do so.

Translations: in the case of my husband (non EU national) the Spanish consulate was the one providing the names of translators. However, I think it is good that they have told you to bring a translation and then they will certify it, this allows you to choose a translator on your own. Since they know English they will just check that the translation is accureate. and b believe me, the Spanish Civil Registry will accept anything if it has been certified by a Spanish authority such as the Consulate/embassy.

I hope all this helps.

;)

4. opyate

opyate New Member

City:
    London/UK
    South African guy (non-EU) marries Spanish woman

Hi guys and girls,

Thanks for all the information in this post.

A few more things I would like to know, and for which I haven't found answers anywhere else:

I'm a South African on a 2-year working holiday visa (my company is applying for a work permit on behalf of me). My fiancee is Spanish. We are based in London.

* Once we have all the documents, do we have to get married in Spain, or can we get married in London where we stay?
    * Once we get married, do we have to stay in Spain, or can we stay in London?
    * How long before I get my EU passport, and is anything else needed from me to acquire it?

I have emailed a couple of goverment offices with the above questions, but haven't recieved any replies yet. Maybe someone here can answers these, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    Juan

5. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English