Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Marry a french woman in the uk

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Cape_Town_boy, May 5, 2014.

1. Cape_Town_boy

Cape_Town_boy New Member

Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    South African (ZA)
    Languages:
    English, Afrikaans
    Hi all

I'm knew to this site and this is my first time posting something. Any information and help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm from South Africa, my girlfriend(a french national) and I are relocating to London. The only visa I qualify for is a EEA Family Permit but the only and best way for me to qualify for it is if we get married. Applying for it under the co-habitation guidelines sounds very uncertain.

Does anybody know the best way to get married in the UK:

Do we get married with UK Home office/registry office?
    Or
    Do we get married at the French Embassy?

I am still in South Africa and will be coming over on a marriage visa to get married to her, she is already there.

What would be the best and safest way forward???????

2. jeanloup

jeanloup Member

City:
    Edinburgh
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English, Français, Suomi
    As a South African, I'm surprised you don't have any visa options which fall under commonwealth agreements but I'm sure you've done your research.

The French embassy won't be able to have you married, they can only process paperwork you provide them after you got married in the UK.

My wife is American and I'm a French national, we got married here. She had to apply to a fiancé visa to enter the country but such a visa is only valid for 6 months. I'm not sure what the timescale is in England but in Scotland you can get married in fairly short notice (about 2 weeks). Once you're married you can then apply to have the EEA family visa you're referring to. If memory serves this is valid for 5 years and then you have to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You also have to provide evidence that your spouse can support you. So ideally your girlfriend should have a job or evidence that suggests you won't need to apply for benefits.

You should be able to find guidance on the HMRC website. Good luck