Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Marriage in poland

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by sergio44, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sergio44

sergio44 New Member

Hi
    My girlfriend is from poland and we are planning to get married there. Does anybody knows what documents i will need apart from my passport ?
    As non-eu citizen i will have to apply for residency permit there as well. How long does it take to get one ? And how many years do i have wait before i can apply for polish citizenship ? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    What is your nationality ?

3. seangill

seangill New Member

Living In:
    Romania
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english.hind,romanian,italian
    hello, Yousafzai. yes can you reply here about this what documents i need to marry in poland.

4. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Congrats on your upcoming nuptials! I found information about what is required:

"There are 3 types of ceremonies:
    Civil Ceremony in the registry office (USC)
    Religious Ceremony (usually in a Roman Catholic church)
    Concordat Ceremony – based on the concordat (a contract between Poland and the Vatican). Looks almost the same as a religious RC ceremony but combines it with the civil ceremony (no need to get married twice).

Option B requires the least paperwork. If you’re both Roman Catholic, you should provide the Polish parish where you’ll be married at a so-called license (licentia). You obtain it at your local parish and regulations regarding what it takes to receive it may vary from country to country. Usually you need to meet your priest (both partners present), answer some questions (regarding your free will to get married, your witnesses etc.), provide him some documents (certificate of baptism and confirmation, personal I.D.) and sometimes the certificate of a pre-marital course for couples (held by the church). Especially the latter varies depending on where you live, if you speak the same language and what requirements the locals must fulfil getting married.

If one of you is not Roman Catholic, consult your local priest. It’s possible in the RC Church to marry a partner of a different confession or an atheist, but requirements regarding paperwork may vary depending on the situation. Usually, a permit from the appropriate bishop in Poland (depending on the wedding location) is necessary. It’s a routine thing to get it, however sometimes it might mean you won’t be allowed to celebrate the whole mass and have Communion.

Please note, that due to the concordat, no marriage may be pronounced in a RC church in Poland without civil consequences. That is, planning the above you either need to have married in a registry office in advance or a concordat wedding is inevitable. Any extraordinary situations need to be directed to the local bishop and require his intervention.

The civil preparations at the USC also depend on where you come from. British citizens need to provide a birth certificate, a valid ID, A Certificate of No Impediment to get married, translated by a sworn translator, and appear at the USC personally with their fiancé(e) and the translator to state their will of getting married. If all documents are correct, either a date is set up for the ceremony (option A) or a certificate for the church is issued that the couple can be married according to civil law. In case of a concordat wedding (option C) you then put your final signatures in the church and later on the priest directs the document to the local USC. Usually you’ll need the sworn translator in the church once again. You will probably speak your vows at the altar in a language both of you understand (like English) but the USC documents need to be signed in Polish.

Generally, for most foreign citizens, it’s easier (less paperwork, money and trips to Poland) to get married in a registry office abroad, where you live, and only hold the religious ceremony over here. Remember, if your civil marriage is registered in Poland all the documents you might need for various institutions at home (act of marriage) will have to be obtained in Poland.

In order to learn about specific regulations applicable for your citizenship, contact the diplomatic service of your country or your wedding planner in Poland."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. seangill

seangill New Member

Living In:
    Romania
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english.hind,romanian,italian
    thanks.its really helpful and if i need any more info i will get back to you.thankx