Forum France

Forum of expats in France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Looking for attorney in France

Discussion in 'France' started by sbronsztejn, Dec 8, 2012.

1. sbronsztejn

sbronsztejn Member

City:
    New York
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Russian, Polish, French
    Looking for attorney specializing in family law. MUST speak English. Prefer Bayonne bar member.

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Why are you looking for a lawyer? Can you explain a bit more? Why Bayonne?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sbronsztejn

sbronsztejn Member

City:
    New York
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Russian, Polish, French
    Hi Cyril,

I need an attorney to help me with my divorce case. That is why I am looking for someone specializing in family law. Actually, this is sort of to tie up lose ends. Under the French law, even though my divorce took place in Lyon, the case has to be handled by the court where my ex resides. Since this happens to be in Pyrenees-Atlantique department, the court that has jurisdiction is in Bayonne. Or possibly Pau. Also, the attorneys that are allowed before the court must be members of the local bar, which is my understanding. But even if Parisian attorney are allowed, imagine additional costs that will be imposed.

Generally, I go the website of the local bar association to find local attorneys. The website in this case is very bad, very few atts have specialties attached to their names. Possibly 10% of the attorney acknowledge speaking English, and the rest are probably silent speakers. I sent email to about 15 of them, out of which I received 1 reply, and 1 responded 2 weeks later. I tried this once before in Lyon, not one responded. I just don't understand it. Since I have to get through a secretary, my French is not good enough, since I haven't used in a long time, to understand what they are saying and also to answer. Actually, I just came back from Bayonne, and I had an interview with one firm. Plus, in France, the family court system seems to be dominated by women, which I feel is not exactly to my advantage. Anyway, these are complicated issues, but what I have is my experience with French court system to go on with. The courts force you to be represented by attorneys, which is unfortunate. Also, the system is so irrational and illogical, but attorneys have total faith that it works.

That is my outsider's view. Below please find a link to Bayonne bar. You have different search options.
    http://www.avocats-bayonne.org/

I hope this explains.
    Thanks.
    Semion Bronsztejn