Forum Thailand

Forum of expats in Thailand: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Living in Phuket?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by BenjamiCar, Mar 9, 2018.

1. BenjamiCar

BenjamiCar Member

City:
    Prague
    Living In:
    Czech Republic
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    English, Italian, French
    Hi all,

I’m starting a new thread, as I need some valuable testimonies from long-time expats as you guys :D .

I’ve been offered a position in Phuket, Thailand. I really love this country. It is so cheap, warm, culturally rich, and paradisiac that I have the feeling I cannot let this chance slip away…

What do you guys think about living in Phuket? Any expats there that can provide a valuable feedback?

I’ve already lived for a while in Bangkok, but this city is literally too much for me. I enjoyed it the time I stayed, but I guess a more “chilled out” place will be a better match for me. I’m looking for something less crazy, where I can enjoy a very good standard of living with my GF in one of the most beautiful part of this country.

Any recommendations of expats already settled there?
    What is for you the best part of the island to stay?
    Is the cost of living comparable to Bangkok’s?
    Is it easy to get around the island, or should I consider buying a motorbike/scooter?
    What are the weekend activities that you would recommend?

I enjoyed my time in Phuket when I went there for vacation, but I have to admit my knowledge about it is quite limited.

I have a full bunch of questions, but I guess it’s better to wait for your feedback.

Thank you in advance for any help you will provide folks!

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello,
    In addition to the forum, you might also get valuable information reading the blogs of expats living in Phuket.

Some of them have done interviews that we have published (note the icon with the orange microphone) so you can even get prime feedback :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BenjamiCar

BenjamiCar Member

City:
    Prague
    Living In:
    Czech Republic
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    English, Italian, French
    Hi,

Thank you for the link, I guess I'll find decent information on this one too, yes.

Hoping to read some answers on this forum though.

Thanks

4. julienkratos

julienkratos Member

City:
    barcelona
    Living In:
    Thailand
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    Spanish, English, French
    Hello,
    I think I can inform you, I have been living in Phuket for more than 3 years, it is really a heavenly place if you avoid large tourist areas like Patong.
    To move, the easiest way is to have your own scooter, it's really cheap and you can move everywhere, you just have to pay attention to traffic.
    Life in Phuket is very nice, there is a lot of expatriate so easy to make new friends.
    Tell me more about your job offer, where it's located and I'll be happy to give you advice

5. BenjamiCar

BenjamiCar Member

City:
    Prague
    Living In:
    Czech Republic
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    English, Italian, French
    Hi,

Sorry, just saw your answer ;)
    3 years in Phuket, awesome :D
    As regards housing, I found already a lot of information about where to live / not to live etc.
    Can you tell me more about your settlement there ? How did you find it?
    I heard there are a lot of expats as you said. Maybe we can even meet, if you are up to showing me the city, main interesting places, and so on ? ;)

I'm currently in the process of making it happening, I'm having a deeper look at the housing right now. Still have to decide what I'll bring with me. Have a lot of stuff, and cannot bring everything lol.

We keep in touch, would be nice to have someone there to help me when I get to the island. It seems like you were able to adapt yourself quite easily, hope it will be the same for me :lol: I'm excited, but at the same time quite stressed. It's not easy to arrange everything online lol

6. julienkratos

julienkratos Member

City:
    barcelona
    Living In:
    Thailand
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    Spanish, English, French
    Hello,
    If you've already learned about the places where they live, it's already a big part of the job, trust me

This is not the funniest party, a lot of stress, lack of time, lots of papers to put together and a lot of questions in the head. But it's worth it
    For my installation I contacted real estate agencies a little before leaving but the easiest way is to go to a hotel for a few days and visit the apartments on site through an agency. Generally find an apartment is done quite quickly.
    We will take a beer and I will make you discover the city with pleasure when you will be installed
    Keep me informed if you have other questions

7. gdorion

gdorion New Member

Living In:
    Thailand
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    My wife and I moved to Rawai, Phuket, in 2015.
    We like southern Phuket and Rawai is the southernmost point.
    One thing about Phuket - unless you are living near the mountains or in a condo on an upper floor, the municipal sewage situation is less than desirable and many if not most coastal areas are getting raw sewage entering the ocean. I know this is true in Rawai Beach. Fortunately, Nai Harn Beach is close and it is a tremendous beach for families and during the high season it can get quite crowded with tourists. During the rainy season, you might get 25-50 people on the beach depending on the day.
    If you are renting or buying a condo, and do not have dogs (we have three), then Kata, Karon, Patong, Kamala, Rawai and Chalong have a lot to offer. You can rent houses too. PhuketRentHouse is a good site.

Phuket Town is very busy and you must take great care when using motor cycles there - it can be more challenging than Bangkok.

Rawai has a fairly decent night scene - we used to go to the Freedom Bar in Rawai which - not sure it still does - usually has very good live bands on Friday and/or Saturday nights.

Keep in mind that the west coast is a Tsunami zone. Even Rawai is in that zone, but there are several land barriers such as Prom Thep cape on the southwestern side of the beach and several islands that would help diminish a Tsunami and this is what happened during the last one several years ago - there was storm surge and flooding of buildings near the beach but nothing too serious.

Kata is an interesting town as is the village of Nai Harn which is part of Rawai. Nai Harn tends to be expensive for real estate because it is near Nai Harn Beach - considered to be the best beach in Phuket and one of the top beaches in Asia. Great surf, safe, life guards on duty, and some nice hotels and restaurants. Many Europeans vacation in Nai Harn.

Hope this helps.

8. BenjamiCar

BenjamiCar Member

City:
    Prague
    Living In:
    Czech Republic
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    English, Italian, French
    Wow, thank you very much for this well-detailed answer. In fact, it helps a lot :)

Thank you guys for your answers. It's getting clearer for me.

If I may ask a last question:

How did you handle the moving process? JulienKratos, and gdorion... You guys have been living there for a while, and I was wondering how did you bring all your stuff to Phuket?

gdorion from the USA?
    JulienKratos from Spain?

Did you set it all up on your own? If yes, was it easy to handle?
    If not, did you hire the services of a moving company in Thailand? Or directly from your home country?

9. julienkratos

julienkratos Member

City:
    barcelona
    Living In:
    Thailand
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    Spanish, English, French
    For the moving process, I took a lot of time to find something correct, I had to contact a lot of agencies to understand their services and see if it suited my expectations because I have a lot of business sentimental values . In the end I went through an agency which I will not mention the name whose service was mediocre, really. But I have some friends that I met here who passed by an agency in Thailand in common , I'll have to ask them again and I'll let you know if it can help you

10. BenjamiCar

BenjamiCar Member

City:
    Prague
    Living In:
    Czech Republic
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    English, Italian, French
    Hi,

Thank you for your answer... I got your point. Shipping sentimental items is never easy. That's why I'm so picky on the company I'll end up choosing lol :D

Would appreciate if you could do this, sure ! Would be a great help in my desperate search :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. julienkratos

julienkratos Member

City:
    barcelona
    Living In:
    Thailand
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    Spanish, English, French
    Hello,
    I come back to you because I asked my friends by which company they had gone for their move and I managed to have a name
    I do not know if you found something on your side but I leave you the link, if it can help you ::

https://siam-relocation.com/

Keep me informed of your progress
    Have a good day