Forum Belgium

Forum of expats in Belgium: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN ILR in UK, still need visa in Brussels?

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by caligirlinengland, Aug 4, 2012.

1. caligirlinengland

caligirlinengland New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Deutsch
    Hi, I'm an American living in England with a British spouse on an Indefinite Leave to Remain visa. We were thinking of relocating to Brussels for work, but I'm not sure what type of visa I would need. Since I'm already a permanent residence of the UK, do I still need a visa to live in Brussels? Also, would I have to return to the US to apply for it? How long would it take to obtain such a visa? Thanks in advance!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    The Expat guide to Brussels and visa section is a helpful resource.
    I believe that since you don't have citizenship, you will need a Schengen Visa to live in Belgium. Once you qualify and gain citizenship then that is the stage where Schengens are no longer necessary. Some Schengens are easier to get than others, depending on the Country/Embassy. If your partner is British/EU Citizen and you will be travelling with them then the Schengen should be free and expedited (according to EU Law it will, but in practice there's always some catch) , there will be some questions that you don't need to answer on the form, used to be marked with an *. If your partner is not an EU Citizen then all questions and fees apply. The website of the Foreigners Department of the FPS Home Affairs (https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/index.html) is the official site. A recent article on EasyExpat, Obtaining a Visa to Live, Study and Work in the Schengen Area, should be of help as well.

You may also find helpful info from expats already in Beligum though the network or expat blogs.

Let us know what path you choose and about the process. Anyone have tips or information? Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...