Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN How much proof is necessary te get a spouse visa?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by klg, Jan 20, 2011.

1. klg

klg New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I am an American citizen engaged to a citizen of England. We plan on getting married later this year and I would like to move to the UK to live with him as soon as possible afterward.
    I have looked at the UK's official Visas page and on several message boards, but I'm only finding what seems to be general statements. Here are my specific questions.

1) We will have to provide evidence that we can support ourselves without govt assistance. My question is, In what ways can we do that? Is a bank statement enough? And if so, how long does that money have to last us? I plan on working full-time, but it could take months to get a job. If we have enough to last us for 6 months, for example, without work, is that enough?
    He has family that we could move in with if that became necessary. That is not our plan, but it is a possibility if we ended up needing it. Is that enough? I am not a highly skilled worker so it's not possible for me to obtain employment before getting a work visa.

2)I have read several stories of spouses moving to the UK and the evidence they provided to prove that the relationship is real. How much evidence must we provide? (I should say that we met online) And in what form? How many times must a couple meet before they are recognized as legit? On the govt website it just says "you have met" as a requirement. That makes is sound like once is enough. Neither of us is wealthy so we can't afford to bounce between countries several times before making the big move. We need to save every cent.

We talk every day online, but there is no record of internet chats. We call each other when we can, but again we can't afford to call all the time since we're trying to save our money.
    Do they require a mountain of evidence that we have known and communicated with each other for a long time? And how long is enough?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    1 - Yes and Yes
    2 - First take the pictures that you have taken together, then grab whatever you can for example print out of online chat history, any e-mails, letters and cards that you have been sending each other and any other 'documentary evidence' to support your claim of having been together for such and such time.

You don't need to worry too much though as long as your relationship is genuine. ECOs are intelligent and experienced people who are there to make correct judgments even if you think you can't provide enough evidence of your relationship.

Good luck !