Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Help! pregnant british girl with mexican boyfriend! Urgent

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by kaz1981, Oct 8, 2007.

1. kaz1981

kaz1981 Member

City:
    Mexico
    Please Help!

I am currently living in Mexico with my boyfriend of 3 years.

I am 4 months pregnant, we want to have the baby in Spain, my parents are residents there.

We want to settle there and work and live there permanently.

Can someone please tell us which is the easiest way to do this, I have no problem working there but my boyfriend needs papers?????, we are willing to get married in Mexico or Spain.

We dont have that much time left for me to travel.

Thanks
    Stressed out Brit[/b]

2. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    Re: Help! pregnant british girl with mexican boyfriend! Urge

I think you can do this either way. Since you are in a durable relationship, you do not even have to get married. You can certainly go to Spain, and your partner has to apply for a visa under the European Directive 2004/38. It should be free (or maybe cost a nominal fee). For the details, you should ask the next Spanish embassy. I have heard rumors that they can be a bit difficult to deal with, so maybe someone can share their experience.

It may be easier to get married in Mexico, but if you want to do it in Spain, I don't think that is a problem either.

If you are worried, you can always fly by yourself, and sort out the visa for your partner later.

3. kaz1981

kaz1981 Member

City:
    Mexico
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you think that if we got married in Mexico, and then we both went to Spain my partner could change his from a tourist visa (90 days) to a visa which enabled him to work while he was in Spain?

Or would we have to do get the visa in Mexico?

I do really want my partner there when I have the baby.

Many Thanks

KAREN

4. Prawo

Prawo Active Member

I am not sure if Spain recognizes not married partners.
    The Netherlands are different, so if you do not want to marry, try to get the free Dutch visa, which will enable you to travel to Spain onward.

In case the Dutch refuse the visa, I can help you out.

However, marriage should do the free visa thing at most Schengen embassies. Though Germans will cause a problem, as the require residence in the EU.

5. kaz1981

kaz1981 Member

City:
    Mexico
    Thats a good idea, thanks for that.

Im looking into hiring an immigration lawyer in Spain, to maybe speed up the process but I dont know the cost of something like this?

If my partner gets the dutch papers, will those definetly permit him to work in Spain aswell. I know they are all the schengan states but I wasnt sure about the rules for this.

If this worked then maybe it might be easier to apply for a visa for England and then hopefully he could work in Spain with these papers. What do you think?

Thanks so much for your response.

Karen

6. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    Hiring a lawyer is a good idea if you are not sure what you have to do, but they rarely speed up the process. After all they are just one more layer involved.

And I forgot about the unmarried couple problem in Spain, that is indeed a no-go. So you have to get married in Mexico, or go to Spain on a tourist visa and get married there (but please check that there are no further strings attached to the marriage).

No, not as far as I understand. Schengen is about boarder control, whereas the work permit is a national matter (under European rules, but still). You need to sort out the work permit with the Spanish authorities once you are married.

England may be an obvious choice, but it has three problems: since you are British, you have to use the national immigration path, which is both expensive (1000 GBP?) and more difficult. And the visa is only for GB and Ireland, not for continental Europe. So I would try Spain first, and if they give you trouble, you can also try another continental European country.

7. Princess Aurora

Hello Karen!

well, im moreless in a kind of situation like urs... in germany, where these kind of things seems to take twice as longer and harder :confused: anyway... u know? reading ur situation, wot about if u both get married in Mexico, get an international marriage book or certificate, or if this is not possible, u can legalize ur marriage in the country where u want to go (all this from Mexico offcourse) and later, get a visa for ur partner in the embassy of the country u want to go but in Mexico and i think this way would make things easier in Europe, as u have made things earlier... ;)
    if u two enter in europe with ur partner only carring a tourist visa, that would make things a bit harder, as the spanish borders has enforced their doors this last time and they are really literally "kicking out latins out of Spain!" lol, specially the ones who only carry a tourist visa, but i guess if u show that u are going with another kind of, "stronger" visa or purpose, that could give u two some credit ;) and also would give u more time to arrange everything there, as if u only have 3 months, u wont have enough time...
    i dont know if u or ur partner have friends or relatives in Spain, that would be an option aswell, they would have to send u an invitation letter to both of u, legalized by the police office of their district of province, and they would have to go for u to the airport and be available if the officers wants to ask them personally if they know u 2 :rolleyes:
    anyway, i know these things as me and my husband were earlier thinking in going to Spain ;)
    hope this can help u

Aurora