Forum Netherlands

Forum of expats in the Netherlands: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Flat or House: How to Rent in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by texkourgan, Jun 25, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello!

One of the first things to do when settling in the Netherlands is to find a home. In order to rent a flat/apartment or house you should familiarize yourself with the area, determine where you want to live, and evaluate what you need. Consider access to shops, schools, transport, and work.

If you have already been through the process of selecting a home in the Netherlands , you can provide valuable advice on how and why you selected your home, and provide tips for people moving to your area.

How did you find your accommodation? Estate agent or classifieds? Did you use a website? Or did you find your place through friends or word-of-mouth? What do you recommend?

Was it quick to find or did it take a long time? What are the essential points you considered (transport, schools, shops… etc).

How much is the average price of accommodation? What are the costs involved for renting? Do you need a deposit? Guarantees?

What are the formalities and the contract requirements in the Netherlands ? Are there important clauses members should consider? Is there an inventory? What are the conditions for leaving or giving notice?

Please offer your advice or questions! This is a tricky step in moving abroad and personal advice, mistakes to avoid and things to consider are extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PaoloC

PaoloC Member

City:
    Zwolle
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    Italiano English Espanol
    Hi, I'm italian and I live in Netherlands since one month. I'm looking for a room or little apartment in/near Zwolle, but it doesn't seems so easy to find it. Any suggestion?

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PaoloC

PaoloC Member

City:
    Zwolle
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    Italiano English Espanol
    Thank you, here they want to take money even for the air we breathe, it seem me absurd. In Italy or Spain is pretty different. They don't hide contacts. Thank you, anyway

5. PaoloC

PaoloC Member

City:
    Zwolle
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    Italiano English Espanol
    The question is: there is a way to get landlord's contact without paying a tangent to the websites? In Italy or Spain it doesn't happen

6. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    On our article for renting you will find more agencies: https://www.easyexpat.com/en/guides/netherlands/amsterdam/accommodation/rent-house-flat.htm
    You do not pay for the website, you do pay for the service providing by the agent, assuming he is finding you an accommodation. Free websites listing accommodations are very rare, one reason being that they provide some insurance and checking.
    You might sometime find direct contact to the landlord, but it might be through a website asking for a subscription or in a newspaper you have to buy...

7. PaoloC

PaoloC Member

City:
    Zwolle
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    Italiano English Espanol
    I don't think so, I should pay just when they find me a home. Paying in advance it's just a way to take money without a valid reason.If they can't find me a home what happen? They refound me? Naaaaa

8. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Yes, that is what I mean for agencies: usually you pay when they let you a flat. Many websites also work on transaction, but sometime indeed it's just a subscription.