Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN EEA family permit for non EEA national

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by chrysipapa, Aug 2, 2012.

1. chrysipapa

chrysipapa New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Greek (GR)
    Languages:
    Greek, English
    Hello! I am a greek national (EEA- 24 years old) and live in the UK the last 2 months. I have found a job as a registered nurse (full contract - permanent) and I am going to start on the end of August. In a month I will get marry to a Serbian man (28 years old) who lives and works in Greece the last 15 years (by renewing his greek residence card every 2 years - not obtain greek citizenship). We live together 3 years but we do not obtain any official documentation proving this fact, as the tenancy aggreement was in his name and when it was necessary he made a statement to the greek authorities saying that I live at the same accomodation. We have plenty of photos and internet conversations between us and can also ask from our last landlord to sign that we indeed lived together in the last apartment. Also there are many people who can assure that fact.
    We intend to apply for an EEA family permit (for UK) for my fiance after we get married. The marriage will take place in Greece and will be a civil marriage. In the meanwhile I will be working i the UK and try to rend an apartment to support his application. He is going to apply from Greece.
    Is that the right viza for us and how much percentage of success do we have with the above facts (newly married and not much evidence about our relationship)?
    How long will it take after we apply till we know the acceptance or refusal of the application?
    What documentation do we need and do you think that is better to do the application through a Serbian immigration lawyer in UK? How much would that cost?
    I am looking forward to your answer because I am really worried of the fact he will be refused to come here. You see, the economical situation is very difficult in Greece and I had to look for a job urgently somewhere else, so we didn't have time to plan our immigration in the UK.
    I currently live with English friends, have a national insurance number and have my registration accepted by the Nursing and Midwifery council of UK.
    Thank you in anticipation
    I am looking forward to your answer...
    Best regards...
    CP

2. ladyjulian

ladyjulian Active Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Yes, it's the right visa, and I think you have a good chance of success. You'll need to send in:

* marriage certificate
    * evidence of your relationship that you do have (photos, emails, a statement from each of you saying when and where you met, how the relationship developed and when you decided to marry, letters in support from friends / family saying they know you're married, letter from your landlord confirming you previously lived together, etc)
    * proof that you are working in the UK - letter of employment and / or payslips and / or job offer or job contract

If you choose to instruct a lawyer, you need a UK lawyer not a Serbian one! An EEA application is likely to cost around £750 in legal fees but the application itself will be free at the embassy. The other thing you can do is to prepare the application yourself, but to pay a lawyer to check it for you and tell you if they think anything else should go in.

Also, if you choose to instruct a lawyer, choose a good one. A good lawyer will not make you feel pressured into going with their firm, will not overcharge, and should be able to talk sensibly about their success rate.

3. chrysipapa

chrysipapa New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Greek (GR)
    Languages:
    Greek, English
    Thank you very much! You are very helpful and kind! Your information is very well organized and clear. Wish you all the best!

4. s_l_h_3

s_l_h_3 Active Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish, Arabic, Italian
    Hi all,

I am in the same situation and:
    1- I dont have an EEA registration certificate number, I have never heard of it before to be honest but it is there in the application form. Is that a MUST?
    2- ladyjulian, you advised to instruct a lawyer which I think I will. Do you have any lawyer that you could recommend to me?

Thanks a lot!