Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Education Voucher

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by gravity, Jun 8, 2013.

1. gravity

gravity New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English, Deutsch, Italian, Espanol,
    Good evening everybody,
    I have just registered with this forum and hope to find answer to my questions.
    I moved to London just around three weeks ago. I am intensively looking for a job at the moment but for the meantime I have applied for jobseeker's allowance.
    As soon as I have got the writing confirmation from jobcenter I will have to claim housing benefit. I want do claim housebenefit backdated, is it possible?
    What about education voucher? In Germany, the country I come from, if you are registered as jobseeker you can apply for a so called "Bildungsgutschein" wich cover the costs for you to attend a qualification course.
    I would like to attend a Spanish language course, for I thinkt this would enhanche the chance of finding a job considering that I am a teacher for German and so I could also teach Spanish.
    By the way, is there something like that - an educati voucher - and if yes, how is the procedure to apply?
    Many thanks in advance

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Him

How do you get the allowance ? Were you employed somewhere else before ? Were you employed in Germany in moved to London using one of the EU forms to trnafer your right to unemployment benefits?

Regarding language courses I know that you have some discount when you are a job seeker (at least for the Council courses and probably also on courses for adult in other organisations). The Job Centre should be able to give you all the information. You should have a look at our guide for courses for adults in London.

We have also an article on unemployment benefits in the UK. You can be a job seeker and attend Open University courses (classified as distance leaning/part time learning) - check the link for financial support on OU studies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...