Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Community of expats Immigration Poland - Polska: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

Stay connected

✎ EN Do they check if you ever renounced before?

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by larap33, May 29, 2019.

1. larap33

larap33 New Member

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    German, Polish
    Dear all,

I am new here, currently applying for confirmation of my Polish citizenship. My case is a bit different than most: My mother is (still) Polish, has a valid passport, etc. and I am German, however not from birth. In my case they never asked me to renounce my Polish citizenship when becoming German (which was uncommon back then) since I got it through an old law (legitimizing an illegitimate child) through my father (when he became a naturalized German in 1992) which existed only until 1998. He had another nationality beforehand altogether that he had to give up. So I dont have any naturalization certificate, etc. I am simply listed in Germanys records as German and Polish. My worry is now that the person who checks my data and wonders how I was able to become German without renouncing Polish if not from birth. Do they have their own database they can check for renunciations? Because I know that I didnt renounce it, but I am wondering if they check it proactively themselves or just deny based on what the rules back then should have been - even if they werent used on me and they could easily see that I never renounced it if they just checked.
    Of course to the question in the questionnaire I replied that I never gave up or tried to give up my Polish citizenship.
    Dos anybody have any insights on how they check this? I imagine that they just dont take your word for it, but still...Im just worried about getting an automated negative reply without them checking it themselves.