Forum Germany

Forum of expats in Germany: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Cohabitation visa??

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Kzarazin, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Kzarazin

Kzarazin New Member

Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello. I am american and my boyfriend is from the uk. We are both very interested in moving to Germany. We currently live in Ireland and have proof of our cohabitation. We are not ready to get married yet, so we are trying to avoid that option. Everything I have read thus far has been old information.

I read on an eu website that due to free movement act an unmarried partner is supposed to be allowed to enter any eu country with their eu partner, but it says nothing about if you are allowed to legally work.

Would love to know any information possible. Thank you!

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello,

In a simple way, if you are a family member of a EU citizen (i.e. spouse for example) you have similar rights.

When you are not married, the situation is more complicated, first for the right to live in the country.
    It is summarized here:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm

Therefore, regarding the right to work, it will depend if your non-EU partner is considered as a family member (proof of long/stable relationship needed) or not.

I hope it helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...