Forum Immigration USA

Forum of expats in the Immigration USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Canadian to Marry US, visa and work info, help!

Discussion in 'Immigration USA' started by smcesare, Feb 4, 2017.

1. smcesare

smcesare New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hey Guys,

I am a Canadian on an F1 Student Visa living in Michigan. I currently live with my boyfriend (American) I have a few question as to how the marriage process works, so if anyone could help me out that would be great!

1) Can I legally get married to him right now?
    2) If yes, and we got married how long is the process until im a permanent resident and/or citizen?
    3) How soon can I work here in the US? right after we marry or do I have to wait?

Any other advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. Fifnfinal

Fifnfinal New Member

City:
    Portland
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    The process for permanent residence after marriage will vary per person, but I would expect at least 30 days since the documents need to be approved.