Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Brother not classed as family in British immigration law

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by chrisafghan, Jul 19, 2005.

1. chrisafghan

chrisafghan New Member

I am bewildered and exhausted at the immigration system in the UK. My husband, afghani, is trying to get his only brother (the only one remaining after his other 14 brothers and sisters have died) to the UK. Either as a legal student, family visitor or worker in his business. Every solicitor we have been to has told us because he is from afghanistan - forget it! he doesnt stand a chance. In the USA a brother is classed as a family member and has automatic right to join him but not here in the 'soft' UK, not. I know about EU treaty rights and he could possibly join us if we live in another Eu country but I cant understand why the law is so harsh that he cant even join us for a family visit? or to legally be a student, stay with us and obtain the secondary education he missed out on, through years of war in his homeland. How much suffering do genuine asylum seekers have to take? My husband has british citizenship and never taken a penny from the government and now owns his own successful business. The example he has made has earnt him nothing in the eyes of the government. can anybody advise on a solution? many thanks