Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN British-Venezuelan & German-Venezuelan

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by willi, Jul 7, 2005.

1. willi

willi Member

City:
    Venezuela
    Hello, I'm German/Venezuelan (42 years), married with a British woman (London born, with a new British Passport), and with two children under 16, also Germans. We've been living in Venezuela, without previous residence in the UK or any EU country. (Main family lenguage: spanish).
    We've been reading every single text from ukcosa.com, ukvisa.com, and others, but still have some dudes related to how arrive to the UK and live and work there for more than 6 months (move to UK).
    Some text says EU Nationals do not require visa, but other suggest to apply for an “Entry Clearance”, and some of them suggest a “Family Permit”; and for “Returning Residents” (less than 2 years abroad) there is no problem, but this is not our case.
    We've some funds to live without any social help for about 12 months, and both of us are good skilled workers (She's a Dentist and I am a Med. Doctor with a Health Management diploma). I've been searching for job opportunities (Jobcentre) and there is a good chance for both of us (NHS Dentist Service is changing and recruiting from abroad). My wife is improving her English and must get an IELTS band 7 (Academic) level, before register with General Dental Council and perform a Vocational Training, even as a Dental Nurse o Hygienist.
    What exactly should we apply for: entry clearance…?
    Is that true that a British Citizen without previous residence may not be able to access Social Security at once?
    Thank you.

2. daphne

daphne Member

If you hold a German citizen passport, your wife holds a British citizen passport, and your children hold German citizen passports, your whole family does not need to apply for anythng before coming to the U.K. to work as long as you enter the country with the right passport (so not Venezuelan passports). This is my understanding.

Don't know much about social security. I think she will need an NI (national insurance) number to claim any benefits. She will get an NI when she has a job. However, you don't need an NI number to use public healthcare services. So if healthcare is your concern, there is no worry.

3. willi

willi Member

City:
    Venezuela
    Hi Daphne, thanks a lot. I believe your right. But, you know, UK is the country with more info avaible using internet, sometimes we got confused. It's good to know another opinion. Thanks again. Willi.

4. daphne

daphne Member

Happy to know that my info was useful.

My husband is Portuguese. At U.K. airports, they just look at his ID card or passport and let him in. No question whatsoever and no stamp on passport. He is working here. The only thing his employer asked him to show was his Portuguese passport. That's all! No visa, no entry clearance, no work permit, nothing special was required.