Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN British citizen wanting to marry a failed asylum seeker.

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Deborah 55, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Deborah 55

Deborah 55 New Member

Please help desperate. I wish to marry my fiance who is in the country illegally. We have been together for 2 years. Any suggestions?

2. scotland44

scotland44 New Member

asylum seeker marriage

Hi Deborah

thanks for your message.

This is a really tough one. I Have married a failed asylum seeker myself and am still going through the horrendous attempts to get him allowed to stay three years on.

There has been a lot of heartache and if I had known it would be this tough we would probably have left the UK.

it is a long long road you are heading down. first of all you will have to give up your passport for 6 months or more to the Home Office, you will have to financially support him for an unknown period of time. You will most likely have to go to court and be quizzed on all manner of personal things, you may even end up forking out on legal expenses as through his marriage to you there will probably not be any entitlement to legal aid.

I know I am painting a bleak picture but it is a bleak scenario. if your fiance wants to stay here in britain there are two options, 1. go back to country of origin, get entry clearance and come back or 2. reopen asylum claim.

I can understand you wanting to get married and get everything sorted and move on with life but, it isn't that simple in the UK. HO are automatically suspicious of anyone who gets married and despite your best intentions it seems to take longer than other cases to get sorted.

best of luck, I hope you can find a way to stay together