Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN British citizen and failed asylum seeker

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by angelaadcn, Sep 6, 2006.

1. angelaadcn

angelaadcn Member

hi can some one please help i am a british citizen and my bf is a falied asylum seeker from kurdistan iraq we have been together 3 years 6 months and lived together 3 years we can not marry in the uk because he is an failed asylum seeker if we went to another country could we marry there and could i bring him back to the uk as my spouse or would he still have to return to his own country for entry clearance or is there anything i can apply for in this country like an unmarried couple visa so we can be together he as been in the uk since 2000 and was refused asylum in 2003 any help and advise you have will be very helpfull

thanks Angela

2. Dawid

Dawid Active Member

hi there

well angela im not really sure but as far as i know that your spouse must be in his home country to apply
    second thing chance of getting the visa varies
    but the most important thing to take in mind is prepare all documents of work and accommadation and also u should prove that the marriage isnt a Marriage of Convenience (for immigration purpose)
    so you should prove that you've been living together (pictures of both you together)
    question may ask you???

when and where your meeting take place?
    when you decided to get married? (be carefull with this questions)

if you decided to get married to him after he failed in his assylum application that may cause the application to fail

of course you should tell the embassy about everything the truth (cus they know everything)
    like if they ask why your spouse applied for assylum you cant lie to them about it
    because they know everything as far as i know
    anyway

as long as you provide all documents proving that you and him will be living toghether without recoursing to public fund its fine....

and good luck to you

and good luck to me and my wife

(my wife was a dependent of a fail asylum seeker but i guess they cant say anything about it because my wife was under age when her family applied for asylum)) :confused:

take care

3. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English

So, he is illegal?

4. angelaadcn

angelaadcn Member

, Triple H my bf as a letter from homeoffice saying they have granted him temporary leave as long as he continues to sign at the police station once a month untill it is safe and time for the homeoffice to remove him back to his own country does that mean he is an illegal? All we want is to be toether here in the uk living a life like any other couple who are inlove but we want it leagally

5. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
  6. Erin

Erin Active Member

Hi, my boyfriend is a failed asylium seaker as well, I'm spanish leaving in uk with him for 3 years now, 2 of them fighting in court and spending in useless solicitors just to fail the case so the only solution we found was to apply in his country for an unmarried partner visa as we do not want to marry just now, right now he is in his country(Albania) he's been there for 1 month now and it will be at least another month to go before he came back to me, we are confident he will get the visa as many people before him got it with much less evidences than we got but is a very hard time to be apart for so long. So is just a matter of waiting and in the case he doesn't get the visa my only option is to go to Albania to marry and bring him back but let's hope that doesn't happend :lol:

7. angelaadcn

angelaadcn Member

it really make me angry to think we have to fight the homeoffice like this just to be with the person you love yeah sure there is a lot of scam marriges but surly the homeoffice can tell the difference from who are in love and who are not if i had to return to kurdistan with my bf to marry him there to bring him back to the uk but i would be so scared to go to iraq with all the fighting and war surly i have some rights as a british national when my bf first came to uk for asylum he didnt know we was going to fall in love, 3 years we live together thats longer then some english marriges i thought everyone had a right to a family life

8. leyla27

leyla27 New Member

hi angela

just read your post now. maybe your more sorted out now? Did you know that you can get married in the church of england? i know its only a start but then you might be able to apply for an outside-of-the-rules spouse visa .

9. mandy1

mandy1 New Member

Hi Angela,

My Kurdish fiance and I are in exactly the same situation. We saw a solicitor about applying for na fiance visa form Iraq ( well, actually he would have to apply form Jordan) and they seemed to think that as long as we could prove that I have the finances to support us both, and that our relationship is serious, then there shouldn't be much of a problem, but it is never guarunteed. My fiance is also a failed asylum seeker, and this might go against him. We were going to try this route first, and if he got declined then I was going to go out to Kurdistan and marry him there, then apply for a spouse visa (which should be easier).
    We then encountered a problem. From November 1st, any Iraqi who wishes to enter the UK must have a 'G- series Passport, not an S-series one (which l my Fiance has) However, the Iraqi embassy in London are not issuing them as there has been a technical problem, and they have no idea as to when it will get sorted out! Soi this means if my fiance went to Jordan and was granted a visa, then he wouldn't be allowed to re-enter the UK, because he wouldn't have the correct type of passport!

We are now going to try the route of getting a Certificate of Approval from the UK. We have stated the problem about the passports as a circumstance which does not allow travel to Iraq- and we are waiting to see what they say.

I think its really bad that I, as a british citizen, who has worked all my life, have paid taxes etc and can support both of us, am not allowed to marry the person I want to, without all of these problems. I want to get married in my own country, with my friends and family there, but may not be allowed to do this. It is so unfair.

I hope things are going well with you. What are your next steps???

Take Care of each other.

Amanda

10. habiba1123

habiba1123 Member

Hi...I read your message. Im also in the same position as both of you. Im 22 and i fell in love with an iraqi kurdish asylum seeker who was refused when he was young. We cant apply for entry clearance because there is no PASSPORT! (thats a joke)... s series was the old iraqi passport..entry clearance requires g series passport which doesnt exist apart from baghdad. By the way..even in baghdad there is no guarantee he will be given it because its very lkimitied and they are only issuing it to iraqi officials and ambassadors. Hence normal citizens wil have to wait. Allahuaalim (God only knows) how long. I had my nikah (islamic marriage) done with my fiance in the uk in the mosque and so under islamic law he is my husband- but uk doesnt recognise that. we have to go to jordan for entry clearance. but wer stuck...theres no passport.. talk about breach of civil rights.. I was born and bred here.. I cant believe my own govt treated me like this.

You can help who you fall in love with.

The thing is..i understand why the govt are cracking down on sham marriages.. a LOT of kurds marry british women only for the passport and most of the time do leave them after they have status in this country..this unfortunately is true. But its unfair to discriminate against ppl who are genuine..

My advice to you - go to your MP and tell him/her to lobby this to the govt. I did this. My MP is now speakign to Magaret Beckett about this. If you do the same it will be much better and inshallah (god willing) we can somehow get the g series passport.

To be honest there is no way you (or me for that matter) can marry failed kurdish asylum seekers in uk. the uk govt has closed veery door for that...even a certificate of approval(thats the most ridiculous joke iv ever heard of) will never be accepted.. unless he has indefinite leave ot remain or exceptional leave ot remain

and by the way-- if he has to sign in the police station he is a failed asylum seeker and will be removed form this country when the govt decides to. and yes..hes illegal..dont worry im in the same boat... just pray that he gets the g series and can go for entry clearance

thats our only way out

hope that helps

Habiba