Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Birth Certificate From Ukraine (Was Poland in 1920-1939)

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by Harjeet, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Harjeet

Harjeet Well-Known Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello,

I have been working on confirmation of Polish citizenship for 4 years. Essentially my great grandfather was born in Galicia, an area that was part of Poland from 1920-1939 and is now a part of the Ukraine.

Warsaw would like my great grandfather's birth certificate.

My great grandfather left this area in 1928 as a Polish citizen. I had a search conducted in Poland (through a consulate) and they did not find his birth certificate. I am now attempting to do a search in the Ukraine. The Ukrainian consulate has a questionnaire that you must fill out to do a birth certificate search. They say that if the questionnaire (essentially a form) is NOT complete it will not be valid and they won't do a search. I wrote the consulate explaining that I do not have my great grandfather's parents first names and his mother's maiden name. They told me then my questionnaire would not be considered complete and they would not do a search. I asked them how to proceed in getting the info but their solution was to not write me back.

I have attempted to email the regional oblast archive office and the email address bounced. I emailed the state head archive office and haven't heard back. The central head archive is the one that requires the questionnaire.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed?

Additionally, I wrote the Polish consulate about doing a search for my great grandfather's passport records and they said "I regret to inform you that search for the requested records it’s not possible. Most of the records were destroyed during the World War II." It seems strange that they won't even try to do a search. Finding a records of his passport would be so helpful because it would prove is citizenship when he left Poland. Thoughts?

2. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi Harjeet

Did you have any luck in looking for census records? They may or may not give you a clue as to names that you are looking for. Another avenue is to find a local Ukrainian church and talk with someone there. They may know of someone in the country that may be able to find something for you and translate as well for a small cost. Best of luck.