Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Asking for original documents up front?

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by turkeyduck81, Jun 13, 2017.

1. turkeyduck81

turkeyduck81 New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello all,
    My mother and I are looking for a lawyer to get polish citizenship back.
    I am born & raised in US. She and her family were kicked out of Poland in 1968 along with thousands of other Polish-Jewish citizens.
    Anyway, the lawyer we found, Katarzyna Jedral through polishcitizenship.pl (you know, the ones with the Polish citizenship eligibility quiz), asked us to Fedex the documents in advance (birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.) to prepare our case.
    Is this normal? Is this firm trustworthy? Does firms typically keep its word? They seem to have thousands of likes.

Thanks so much for any feedback!! :D

All the best,
    TD

2. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Fedex might be more reliable than the post office. But to be on the safe side ask the people you want to deal with about regaining citizenship if they would accept notarized duplicates. This way, you still have the originals in your possession in case the duplicates get lost or destroyed enroute.
    I knew of someone that did a family tree for someone who had sent originals by mail and the originals got destroyed by accident. Any information contained in the originals got lost because of that. When you look at the originals ask yourself how easy would it be to replace them for one reason or another such as being destroyed by fire or stolen. Good luck.

3. turkeyduck81

turkeyduck81 New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Great, thanks for the info Gjene! Much appreciated.

I was somewhat relieved to hear that one attorney with whom I spoke, Lukasz Piotrowski in Warsaw, that we can send scans and he can notarize them.

I think I read someone on this forum who mentioned the originals getting destroyed. Not sure how easy, but I don't want to gamble.
    Take Care

4. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    It was probably me. This way, if something happens to the duplicates then you can get more copies done. But if something happens to the originals and if you can't get replacements for them then you are out of luck. Chances are that Lukasz can print out the scans and notarize them, but it would be nice to locate someone near you that can make copies and notarize them if it is needed. That way, if the system in Poland will not accept the notarized scanned documents, then you are still covered because you started the process already and not losing time. Also, on a side note, by having the originals scanned/copied, then you can put the originals put away into a safety deposit box for safe keeping against fire, theft or other unforeseen problems. I am not trying to be a pessimist, but why take chances with originals.