Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Applying for EEA2 Family Permit whilst travelling abroad

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by hannah1822, May 9, 2009.

1. hannah1822

hannah1822 New Member

City:
    London
    I'm an Aussie married to a Spanish national - we're living in the UK and my EEA2 Residence Card is pending (applied for it March 09).

We plan to travel to Malaysia in 2 weeks to see family. I enquired as to whether I'll have trouble re-entering the UK (my working holiday maker visa has expired). The UK Home Office told me I will need to apply at the British Embassy in Malaysia for a EEA Family Permit, and I will then be able to enter back into the UK hassle free.

I have emailed the British Embassy in Malaysia to find out the procdure to apply for the EEA2 Family permit, and they have replied saying as I'm a VISITOR in Malaysia, I will not be able to apply for the permit there. I need to return to my country of residence/origin to apply for the permit.

I'm now confused as this is contrary to the advice the Home Office have given me. I've also looked online and found this link (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/eunati ... t#13627112) which states:

EUN2.2 Where can an EEA family permit be issued?

EEA family permits may be obtained from any visa issuing post. It is not necessary for an applicant to be lawfully or normally resident in the country to apply.

Does anyone know anything about this? Can you apply for an EEA2 Family Permit from ANY British Embassy around the world or do you hvae to be in your home country. Have the Embassy in Malaysia given me the wrong advice? Any help/similar experiences would be MUCH appreciated!!!

2. sueno2007

sueno2007 Active Member

City:
    Manchester United
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Languages:
    English
    Re

You should be able to get EEA family permit in Malaysia but their reply is not a good sign. Formally, you should be able to get EEA FP in any British consulate. In some cases, they refer that you should go to the nearest British consulate but I doubt it's a rule.

In any case, bear in mind that EEA FP processing times vary from country to country. In Paris, it took 5 working days to get it in December 2008.

I'd suggest you email Home Office and cc: British embassy in Malaysia so they talk between themselves as apparently each of them have their own understanding about EEA FP. It always helps if you explain the situation clearly and indicate potential costs if issues are not ressolved.

3. sebhoff

sebhoff Addicted member

City:
    North-West
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    As far as I know, the rules are *in principle* clear: you would not need a FP to re-enter the UK. This is not necessarily the view of UK immigration - and very likely not of the immigration officer that you are first going to deal with. But eventually, someone will realise that as long as you can prove that you are married to an EU national (bring marriage certificates, etc.), they cannot refuse you entry. It will probably take some time - so don't book a train that leaves one hour after arrival. :lol:
    If you are in Kuala Lumpur anyway and it wont be a hassle to apply for the FP, it might be a less stressful option to try to get it done there. But if that doesn't work out, it won't be the end of your holidays. (I'm writing as somebody who once made the mistake of cancelling a trip because of the same reason. Now I know I could have travelled...). As a non-visa national, you luckily won't have any trouble with the airline.
    Oh - and of course you can write to both the HO and the embassy in KL. But I would be very surprised if they actually started talking to each other about this. I have full faith in the HO, as you can see. :rolleyes:
    sebhoff

4. ThomasDO

ThomasDO Member

Hi Sebhoff,

how sure are you of this, and how many times did you reenter with a valid FP? Is this somewhere written?

We are thinking doing the same, but the only information is, that the UK immigration just let you in with a valid FP.

I even tried to call the immigration in Stansted airport where we are you to enter, but they just hang up...

Thanks,
    Thomas

5. travmac

travmac New Member

City:
    LONDON
    Hi There,

We are in a very similar situation and I was wondering what happened when you tried to re-enter the UK, did you manage to get a EU FP in Malaysia? We are travelling to Brazil in October and my FP has expired, we applied for FP in Feb and to date have not yet received any news apart from a letter saying that we have applied.

Please let me know what the outcome was, it would really help.

Thanks
    Travmac