Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Another "Am I Polish enough?" post

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by kalinkamalinka, Sep 10, 2013.

1. kalinkamalinka

kalinkamalinka New Member

Living In:
    Ukraine
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Ukrainian, Russian, French
    Hello, everybody! I just wanted to get a general consensus on whether or not it's worth it to continue to pursue this case. I'm interested in repatriation, based on both of my great-grandparents, who were Polish Jews. My family still continues these traditions, so it's NOT completely random....

Okay, SO, in short:

-Great-grandma was born in Lublin in 1900, emigrated to the U.S in 1910. However, she didn't become a naturalized citizen until 1940. Great-grandfather was born in Husiatyn, came to the U.S around 1917, also did not pursue citizenship until 1928. Grandmother was born in 1926, in New York.

Since I'm currently based in Ukraine for work (and can easily travel to the West/Poland to try to find some more documents), I'm trying to gage whether or not it's worth it to pursue citizenship, or perhaps an easier path would be for my father and I to do it together. I've done some lurking, but it feels like there's a lot of conflicting information out there. Thanks guys!

2. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Based on what you have provided, you do not stand much of a chance. Part of it is because they left Poland before it had gained independence and was recognised as a country in 1918. Your best bet would be to read over all 3 parts of the forum pertaining to the citizenship. Also, have a read in part the 1920 citizenship act. That might give you a clue as well. Good luck.