Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN American woman (me) to marry a British man?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by mbutterfly, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mbutterfly

mbutterfly New Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Turkish, a little Spanish
    Sorry if this is a bit long winded...

I am an American woman and have MANY questions about how to go about marrying my British boyfriend.

We met in Istanbul a few years ago, I've been out to the UK a few times, last time was for 6 months on a tourist visa, and I am here now -again on a tourist visa. Originally I planned to come and visit for a month, a few days after arriving he expressed that he wanted me to stay longer, and so I began to consider staying again for the full six months that my tourist visa allows, then he began to express how still that would be such a short period of time...

A couple of nights ago over dinner, he asked me to marry him!
    I've known for a while that he is the man I want to marry, just didn't think we would be here so soon. Though his career has really taken off over the last couple of years, I'm not in the same financial position that I was in when we met (long periods of time in various countries can do a number on your career!). So he feels finically confident for this, I however feel less so.

So, I've only had a couple of days to look into how to go about all this, and I am having troubles getting definitive answers.

I came on a tourist visa because up until the other night the subject of marriage was something he only joked and teased about, but now it's real. I've heard of fiance visas? and it looks like we could get married basically anywhere, but that I would need to go back to my 'home country' to file for the proper visa (or maybe in Istanbul since he's half Turkish and I have a Turkish residence permit...I think it's still valid...).

First question is about 'registering' here in UK: What does that entail? What documents do we need?

Second question regards the difference between a marriage visa and a fiance visa: If I must leave the country either way in order to file, which makes more sense? ie-get married here and fly back to the states to process a marriage visa, or to fly home file for a fiance visa then return for marriage?

Third question(s): What sort of documents (his and mine) are needed for the actual visa? and what are the requirements for funds? (- this will effect the timing as I'll have to get back to work in order to save. He would cover everything, but I want to be able cover myself, that's just how I am).

As I said, long winded, but it's all a flurry in my mind at the moment...
    Thanks for any and all feedback, we really appreciate it.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Congratulations! :D

I would recommend that you start with the information provided on EasyExpat's FAQ concerning "departure". There is a section the UK Fiance Visa & UK Marriage Visa. This will help you establish which would work best for you. Also consult the UK Border Agency site.

It has been a while since you submitted your question. What information have you found since you first asked? How is your application proceeding?Best of luck with the visa & the wedding!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...