Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN American-spainish marriage please help!

Discussion in 'Spain' started by trejor, Sep 4, 2005.

1. trejor

trejor New Member

I have traveled quite often to Europe, but I know there have been many changes recently. My boyfriend and I want to get married in December, but he is currently in Spain. He was living here (Texas) on a student VISA for a year, but due to his financial situation was not able to leave at his appointed time. He was supposed to leave on May 1,2005 but he did not get his plane ticket which costs $700.00 until May 5,2005, so he left about 4 days later than he should have. The government is now telling him that he cannot return to the states for another five years. I want to live here. Is this possible? Is there anything we can do? There is a pardon which he would have to pay $250.00 to be evaluated only. Paying the fine does not guarentee re-entry. Can I marry him in Spain and be able to return to the states? How or where do we begin to sort this out?

2. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    This is the problem with the US Immigration. Should you be out of status even for just a day, then it is construed as being an illegal alien, and thus, laws pertaining to illegal aliens apply. The law does not discriminate whether you overstayed for one day or one year, even if you were under financial difficulties. Let this be a grim reminder that under no circumstances should you overstay in the US, as this will have lasting results on the person's record.

As for a solution to your situation, it would be best at this point to consult an immigration lawyer. I don't know where you're from in the US, but there was a good one I spoke to before, and he is based in Arlington, VA. I could email my uncle to get contact information if this should prove useful for you.

But defintely seek competent legal advice, as your boyfriend's reputation, in the eyes of US Immigration, is already tarnished. I'm sure there is a way through the legal loophole.