Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN American marrying a Spanish(EU) Citizen in the US---help on

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by danlsu, Jul 26, 2004.

1. danlsu

danlsu New Member

City:
    San Francisco
    I am an American, and going to marry a girl from Spain soon. We both live in California. If she is working here, and we get married, we will apply for her to be able to stay and work here. But we also want to move to Spain, or I might go ahead of her to secure a job. But, if we get married, does that give me the right to live and work in Spain, with or without her? We won't be together all the time, because of work and family. What do I do, where do I apply? I've read posts on here for people already living in the EU. But I must apply for a residence permit here, before I go to Spain, no?
    And then can I look for work? If she is working and living here in California, how do I get a residence and work permit there?

Please help.

Thanks

Daniel

[%sig%]

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Re: American marrying a Spanish(EU) Citizen in the US---help

Because sh is Spanish, the Spanish rules for immigration will apply if you intend to live in Spain. Therefore you have to get the information from the Spanish embassy or consulate close to where you are in California (might be San Francisco?).

Being married to a Spanish citizen will entitle you to apply and obtain Spanish citizenship after residing one year in Spain. This means that at the time of application for Spanish citizenship, you have to prove you have resided legally in Spain for at least one year.

Residency in Spain will be granted automatically as you are married to a Spanish national, although the procedure takes at least 3 months. The application for Spanish nationality is done via the Civil Registry of the location of your domicile (understood as your marriage domicile) to the Minister of Justice:

The requirements are the following:
    - Birth certificate
    - Criminal record certificate issued by the Israeli authorities (it is
    advisable to have it clean)
    - Criminal record certificate issued by the Spanish authorities
    - Certificate of domiciliation in the Town Hall of the municipality where
    you will live.
    - Document justifying the time spent in Spain with legal residency.
    - If married to a Spanish citizen, marriage certificate issued by the
    corresponding Civil Registry.
    - Birth certificate of the Spanish spouse.

Once your application has been approved, you will have to make a sworn
    declaration of loyalty to the Spanish Constitution.

With regards to the time it takes, it depends on the time of the year, but you can expect to be summoned to make the declaration within 3 to 5 months after the presentation of the documentation.

Regarding your right to work, being married to a Spanish citizen will make things easier in theory. However you will probably need to apply for a visa for thwe first year (ask to the Spanish embassy).

3. danlsu

danlsu New Member

City:
    San Francisco

Thanks Cyril :)

I have a few more questions. I was told that even if you go with your wife to Spain, who is a Spanish citizen...you can apply for a residence visa before I go, but I won't be able to work legally there for a year?! Is this true? How do they expect people to live without working legally? How do we prove that we were living in Spain...? Can we go, get our marriage certified, set up residence with family or something. And get bills or something sent? If I can't work for a year we can't stay, but must come back to live. and return after the year is up. Is this possible? Can we set up "residence" there and then go back and apply for the work visa and all? Thanks so much for your help during this difficult time.

Daniel

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français

Hmmmm you must know beforehand that I am not an immigration officer... :frown:
    It's not that you won't be allowed to work, but you will require a work Visa the first year to be able to work. I am not up to date with the Spanish immigration law but I assume that they must be probably cooler with such cases... :confused:??: Why don't you contact the embassy, ask information ... and come back on EasyExpat to tell us eventually what you have to do exactly?

[%sig%]

5. niknik

niknik New Member

City:
    Spain
    hello,

I am in almost the same situation, but I am currently living in Spain and my wedding is in 2 weeks. (I have been here after the 90 days with no visa)

well my question is that after I get marry what do I need to do? and what papers do I need just to be legal not nessasaraly to get Spanish nationality. is the information below only for nationality?

Also while the papers are being processed can I leave Spain? or do I have to stay here till all of them are done?

Thank you very much
    Nicole[/quote]

6. juliesimo

juliesimo New Member

City:
    madrid
    marrying a moroccan

i am northern irish, living in madrid and want to marry my moroccan boyfriend. what papers do i need and where can i get them?

7. kelder

kelder New Member

Hey Nicole,
    I'm in a similar situation. I have just married my Spanish partner, and have found heaps of information about what you do after one year when you want to apply for nationality...but in the meantime??
    I went to General Pardiñas and they directed me to the oficina de extranjeros at Pl Campillo del Mundo Nuevo. You have to make an appointment by phone. (almost impossible so there is always a massive queue just to make an appointment). I got lucky and got through to someone who gave me an appointment and assured me that all the information I needed was on the website www.mir.es -yeah right. Both my husband and I have looked and can't find exactly what I should be applying for.

Autorización de residencia (EX-00)?
    NIE (EX-14)?
    Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero (EX-15)?

or maybe something completely different!!??

I'm in a slightly different situation because I've been living here with a study visa, but I really want to get this sorted. If you've heard anything else, new information would be greatly appreciated!

Also to anyone else who might happen to know: As a foreigner married to a Spanish citizen am I able to work??

Thanks everyone
    -Kate