Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN American becoming Polish to live in the UK

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by omghi, Nov 29, 2010.

1. omghi

omghi New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Ok... so...

Basically I am posting on here, because the home office website is as useless as ever...

My situation:

I am an American. I moved to the UK five years ago to study. I got my degree after three years, and got a Post Study visa for two years. My employer wouldn't sponsor me (due to all the government changes). So my immigration options were limited. Luckily, my parents are Polish so I've decided to get a lawyer in Poland to get me my Polish citizenship as soon as possible. I'm expected to get this within three months. I am back in the US while this is going on (I left before my visa expired).

I guess my main questions are, when coming into the UK under my Polish citizenship is there anything I need to provide them with (information/documents)? I really want to avoid having a hard time with border control. When I get back in, I'm looking to get a job immediately, I have friends to stay with, it's just starting fresh, yknow?

I know I need to register under the workers migrant scheme. Is there anything else to do? Can I also use the same information as I was using when working under my student visa/post study visa... such as national insurance number, etc. Will all my NHS information stay the same?

This mess is so complicated an I know the home office can't be there to hold people's hands, but the communication is awful. I remember once asking an officer at border patrol a simple question and she wouldn't even answer my question but told me to look at the website. It was completely pointless. I know I have to sort my own immigration status, but I want to do it correctly... it's as if they're looking for you to mess up so they have a reason to call you out and never let you back it. and it pisses me off cause I paid so much money for tuition fees!!! (I know it's unrelated --- but still...)

So... any advice? Any good websites to look at (besides home office)?

I'm just terrified of strolling back into the UK as a Polish Citizen and them being like, actually no... you're not allowed to live/work here.

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    You are worrying without any reason I must say.

Once you get your Polish ID card ( or passport ) you are free to enter UK to live and work without any restrictions so nothing else needs to be done for that.

As for the Worker Registration Scheme, its going to be abolished from 1st May 2011 so if you come to UK after that date, you don't need to register either. I wouldn't bother even if I would before that because it will be useless. I guess Home Office should stop it now unless they want to waste people's time.

Your national insurance number ( and consequently NHS registration ) would need to be changed but that shouldn't be a problem either. Any local job center will do that for you.

Good luck

3. joneeboy74

joneeboy74 Well-Known Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    english,french
    Yousafzai is wrong about one thing.If you are claiming your Polish citizenship and then intending to work in the UK as an EU citizen, you will need to a Polish National Insurance number, because it will be Poland that has to refund to the UK the cost of certain social benefits that you may receive in the UK, such as unemployment pay, child benefit, medical treatment, because they are transacted through the EU/EAA scheme.
    Neither will the local Job Centre change your National Insurance Number for you. Job centres are now nothing to do with it, other than having application forms.It is now all done nationally by HM Cusoms and Revenue, though Job Centre Plus may conduct some intervews on bhalf of HMRC. The whole procedure has been tightened up to restrict NHS numbers to entitled persons.
    As for the Worker Registration Scheme, the new UK Conservative government is not interested in it, as it intends to introduce something far tougher, as it claims EU law allows it to. Expect the UK, Ireland and some other member countries to soon put pressure on the EU to limit freedom of labour. If the UK does not get its way, it may secede from that part of the treaty.