Forum New York City

Forum of expats in New York City: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Sudent from Bosnia looking for a summer job in New York

Discussion in 'New York City' started by cookie987, Mar 29, 2013.

1. cookie987

cookie987 New Member

City:
    Banja Luka
    Living In:
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Nationality:
    Bosnian (BA)
    Languages:
    Serbisch, English, German
    Hi,
    as I wrote, Im student from Bosnia and im looking for summer job in NY. I applied in Work and Travel agency that will provide me social security nr, Visa, accomodation and also a job somewhere in the USA. The main problem is that i dont want to go somewhere, but NY. So my question is where can I find a job such as houskeeping, waitressing, etc for a period of couple of months?
    Hope someone can help me..
    :D

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    A summer job in New York does sound amazing. New York is a big state, are you only interested in working in the city? Many people commute from New Jersey as well.

The main issue you are going to have is with visas. It is very difficult to get a work visa in an unskilled field (cleaning etc.) The Guide to NYC is the best place to start. It covers info on US visas, seasonal work in New York, and more. We also offer additional info in our article "Obtaining a Visa to Live, Study and Work in: the United States of America". Your best bet may be with a programs like Interexchange & the The Taproot Foundation, but these programs can cost a lot of money to enter.

Anyone else have advice or experience?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cookie987

cookie987 New Member

City:
    Banja Luka
    Living In:
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Nationality:
    Bosnian (BA)
    Languages:
    Serbisch, English, German
    Hey glad you answered.. Thanks :)))
    See there is a programme Work and Travel

http://translate.google.ba/translate?hl ... CD4Q7gEwAQ

that offeres two options:

"Self arranged" option means that students will find employment through the Internet or friends in America, and BHV Education and our American partners check your potential employer and how he, as a business that offers you, in accordance with the regulations of the U.S. government.
    "Full placement" option means that you BHV Education and our American partners ensure a proper job in the U.S.. Both options include student health insurance program price.

So i thought about this self option. When i find myself a job this agency arranges J1 Visa and everything else. I hope someone can help me to find it.
    Thanks in advance. :)