Forum Berlin

Forum of expats in Berlin: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Shopping in Berlin

Discussion in 'Berlin' started by texkourgan, Aug 28, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome EasyExpat.com!

Shopping is an Olympic sport for some people, while others just need tips on where to find common goods in Berlin. Do you like to shop? What is your favourite part of shopping? What is the worst part?

What did you find confusing to find when you moved aboard? Is there a special item you are still looking for? Do you shop online or ship items from abroad? What should new expats know about finding product in Berlin? Do you have tips or favorite stores?

Where is the best place to shop for groceries? Where are your favorite shopping malls or boutiques?

Thank you for sharing your experience and providing information for others to follow in your footsteps!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Most the time I feel like I know where to get things in Germany, but right now I've come across a stumper.

I've seen this exposed bulb/colorful cord (example: http://www.designloversblog.com/design- ... ing-trend/) all over the place, but am unsure where to find these colorful cords. Are they at your average home shopping store like Höffner or IKEA? Anyone have a tip? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    I've still only found a few of those cords at very high prices. Maybe someday...

But as far as sharing info, I heard there may be some questions about shopping in Berlin. Of course the Guide to Berlin provides great shopping info for the city, but a little more of an overview for the country:

Shops in Germany are normally open Monday – Friday from 9:00 – 20:00. Smaller shops may close earlier, and grocery stores are often open until 22:00. Shops usually have shortened hours on Saturday and almost everywhere is closed on Sunday. In the build up to Christmas, from early November to mid-December, there are several "Shopping Weekends" with extended weekend hours and openings on Sundays. Some supermarkets located at train stations (Hauptbahnhof, Bahnhof Zoologischer Garten, Friedrichstrasse, Innsbrucker Platz and Ostbahnhof) are open also on Sundays. Spaetkaufs are usually open when other stores are not and offer basic groceries and cold beers for slightly higher prices than grocery stores.

Most stores and supermarkets only accept local EC/Maestro Cards. Smaller shops may only deal in cash.

Grocery Shopping Basics

Discounters (Lidl, Netto, Aldi): Most people shop here as it has basics at the cheapest prices. Be prepared fro no frills and changing goods.
    Major Grocery Stores (Kaisers, Rewe, Edeka, Kaufland): These grocery chains most resemble something you’d find in the States or UK. Some shops, like Real, will sell everything from groceries to bicycles to underpants.
    Turkish, Asian & African Markets: Turkish markets are plentiful in places like Berlin. Asian & African shops can also provide an array of options.
    Online & Specialty: Specialty shops like Berlin’s enormous KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens) sell many of the goods you may be missing – for a high premium. Many people shop online for goods from home.

Hope that helps those new to Berlin. Questions? Info to share?

4. majabrunn

majabrunn New Member

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English, German
    KaDeWe or Kaufhaus des Westens on KuDamm is especially great for shopping! It's one of the biggest retailers in Berlin and you are guaranteed to find everything that you are looking for there!

5. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Yes, KaDeWe has just about everything - but at premium prices. I actually found one green cord at IKEA finally for cheap.

6. berlijntips

berlijntips New Member

City:
    Utrecht
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Dutch (NL)
    Languages:
    English, Dutch
    Hi,

I have looked for the nice 'edgy' shops in Berlin: http://www.berlintop10.com/shopping.html.

Although KaDeWe offers a choice for everyone, you'll be more surprised at Weinmeisterstrasse. Next to this a have added a few of my favourite pics in Kreuzberg!

Enjoy

Joep

7. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Just saw a great list of places to buy furniture in Berlin on a Facebook group and thought I would share:

Google Maps

Happy shopping!