Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN READ THIS! Filing for UK Residency (EEA 1/2 or 3/4 forms)

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by polskasweetie, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    I've been reading some of the posts here about this issue. Let me share some tips from personal experience when you file for your EEA1/EEA2 or EEA3/EEA4 forms:

Take time to read instructions on the forms
    If you cannot understand some of the wording, do not be ashamed to have a friend, relative, or colleague explain it to you. The more you understand what needs to be done, the more chances your application will be processed and approved.

Practice makes perfect
    Have several blank copies of the form on the table when you start filling it out. Make erasures as you fill it out if there are mistakes, so you won't forget later on, in case you decide to do the "oh, I'll get back to that later" routine. If you do, the information or ideas that hit you while you're on that particular question might not be remembered later on. Once you have filled out the form completely, review it for errors, spelling, etc. When you are completely happy with your "practice" application form, go ahead and fill out another one, but this time make your handwriting legible, no erasures and please do not forget to sign and date the forms.

Know your reference numbers
    If you have applied with the Home Office before (for family permits, visas, etc), there is a space on the EEA forms asking about this. By all means, please write it. Doing so will make it easier for the Home Office caseworker to search prior applications and documentation you've submitted before, and verify and cross check information if they all match and are consistent. This translates to your application being processed faster as there is less work for them to do regarding verifying your documents, identity, etc. Now if you do have one and decide not to write it in the application, not only will it take time for the caseworker to find your other papers, they might think negatively of the action, thinking you may be hiding something by not putting prior reference numbers. Don't give them a reason to suspect: be honest.

Check and double check your supporting documents
    I cannot stress this enough. Depending on your situation, you will have to submit a few, or a lot of supporting documents. The forms have a checklist of what is acceptable to them for your application. If it's not on the list, assume it is not accepted. Don't gamble and hope they will be accepted. The forms will state the minimum document requirements. If you have other documents that is in the list that you feel will solidify or strengthen your application, by all means attach them. For example, the form may ask you for proof of employment. You can either submit a certificate of employment from your HR department, submit a P60 or a recent payslip. In this case, why not submit all three? They will be returned to you anyway. But having strong supporting documents like these will convince your caseworker of the authenticity and consistency of information you are submitting. Remember, they are trying to verify WHO YOU ARE. Make their life easy.

Give it one more day
    After you've done all of the above and have all the documents in an envelope, set it aside and do something else and forget about it. Get your mind off of it. Relax and watch something on the tv. Have a good night's sleep. The next night, when you're mind is clear, make a final review of all your forms and supporting documents, see if there are any discrepancies, mistakes, etc. When you are completely happy, put them all in the envelope and seal it. Now you're ready for the post office.

How to mail your papers
    I highly suggest mailing your papers via Royal Mail Special Next Day Delivery 9am. This is trackable on the internet via the Royal Mail website, so you're aware if your papers are already with the Home Office or not. And do yourself a favour: get another envelope with the same postage (Next Day Delivery 9am) for your documents to be returned. Roughly it will cost you around 10-15 pounds each way, but ask yourself: how important is your application? And how important are your supporting documents? You want them returned right away, and safely right?

Now the worst part: waiting
    According to the Home Office website, normal processing time is around 6 months. Some people get it faster, and some don't. Make a timetable as to what you will do and when. Say about a month after you receive the confirmation letter from Home Office, try to see the website if there's any news on changes in the law, or processes. Call them if you want to follow up, very handy if you have your reference number ready. Then try again in another month. When you call, you can try calling twice or thrice a day at different times so you get different people picking up the phone, and see what the application status is.

I've followed all of the above, except for the calling bit on the last part as I was busy enough with my work. I submitted my papers (and my wife's of course - she's the EEA National) on Oct 26, received the confirmation letter Nov 7, and received all my documents back (including the residence stamp and cards on the passports) by Dec 17, all in 2006. Now I'm not saying you will experience exactly what I went through. Not at all. What I aimed to do here was to reduce the possibility of a denied application by plugging all the holes. I understood the forms, submitted more than enough supporting documents, checked everything is real, accurate, up to date, and correct, then wished for the best. At least this way, you know you've completely done what is necessary without leaving anything to chance. And yes, I did this all on my own, with no help from solicitors, saving me money as well.

Hope these tips are of some help to you. I've been really busy with work but promise to log in more frequently (at least every weekend) and answer your questions.

Good luck!

2. DEL1978

DEL1978 Member

Great Advice!

Your suggestions above are great!

I had submitted my (American) EEA2 ("durable relationship") application together with my partners (German) EEA1 application on 30 November 2006. We had our documents VERY organized in a folder structure explaining what source each document was from. We had well over 20 different documents showing our relationship over the 2 years (all official - Electricity, Water, NHS, etc.) from all of our addresses.

I did call the homeoffice quite frequently to check-up on the applications because I do have to travel alot for my current job.

I recieved a positive confirmation today with both of our passports showing both of our visa's approved.

Total waiting time: 1 month, 17 days

3. DEL1978

DEL1978 Member

I just wanted to add some additional information to this sticky about what documents I provided for the EEA2 form - The application doesn't really go into detail about what you need to prove a "durable relationship" or also to prove that it is not a "marriage of convenience".

When I applied for EEA2, I provided the same documents that the SET(M) Form requested (as this specifies what you need to prove a durable relationship)

Here is the link, but I have also copied in the section that I used as a guide:
    http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1 ... tm0606.pdf

We need documentary evidence indicating that you and your partner are still living together as a couple and have done so during the past two years. Ideally, this evidence should indicate joint commitments in your finances, other responsibilities and social activities spread across the past 2 years/ 24 months.

Items of correspondence or other documentary evidence from sources of the kind listed below would be acceptable. These should be divided fairly equally between each of the two years, and be addressed jointly in both your names wherever possible. If you do not have any or enough in your joint names, items addressed to each of you individually may be acceptable, provided they show the same address and you provide roughly the same number of items in each of your names.

The items of evidence should be from at least 5 different official sources. Ideally, a total of 20 items of evidence should be provided. If you are not able to do that, please provide at least 10 items.

Please give an explanation if you cannot provide at least 10 items and/or if the evidence is not in your joint names and/or it is not spread over the 24 month period as indicated. An explanation must also be provided for any periods when you did not live together, as well as evidence in support of the explanation and evidence to show how you maintained contact with each other during this time.

Your application could be delayed or even refused if you do not provide enough evidence of this kind.

• telephone bills or statements
    • gas bills or statements
    • electricity bills or statements
    • water rates bills or statements
    • council tax bills or statements
    • mortgage statements or agreement
    • bank or building society statements/passbooks
    • tenancy agreement
    • insurance policies/certificates or other correspondence
    • loan agreements
    • AA, RAC or similar membership
    • membership of sports or social clubs
    • membership of a religious organisation
    • correspondence from government departments or agencies (eg HM Revenue and Customs, Inland Revenue, Department for Work and Pensions) including evidence that you have declared your relationship to the appropriate government bodies.
    • correspondence from GP or local health authority (eg: NHS card, correspondence about ante-natal and post-natal treatment, letter confirming dates of visits to the home address by a midwife, letter confirming registration with a dentist, etc - providing these documents show your home address and the date first registered)

When I submitted my application, I organized each source in their own transparent plastic folder with at least 3 samples of each source in each (I gave even more than they asked for).

I hope this helps for future applications!

4. polskasweetie

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    Re: Great Advice!

Your waiting time is roughly the same as mine. Proof that due diligence and some research pay off. Congratulations.

5. rene_nz

rene_nz New Member

Hi there

Thanks for great info, am just wondering if there is a cost associated with the completion of the EEA2 form? I'm living in London now with my fiancee (she's half Dutch) and I came in as Family Member (de-facto partner) after getting this visa.

I want to apply for my residence card but haven't seen the cost associated anywhere. Advice appreciated! Also, an update on processing times would be appreciated too, from what I've read it can range from 5 weeks to 5 months!?!

Cheers
    Rene

6. istdasso

istdasso New Member

what are my chances for and Indefinite Leave to remain?

Hi All,

I have sent my application on the 21st of May and have already received a reply confirming the receipt of my application. The question is: What are my chances?
    I have made an application using the EEA4. My partner and I have been together for 5 years and 4 months... :)
    With my application, I have sent my two passport photos, our passports, my partner's residence card (with a no time limit stamp on it) and my P60s for the following years: 2002-03; 2003-04; 2004-05; 2005-06 and some 5 wage slips from my current job, which proves I have been here working and paying the $@8&6/ taxes... hehehehe. We are in a same sex relationship and we have not registered for civil partnership.
    So, the question again... What are my chances?
    Does anyone think this is a straightforward application?
    Thanks in adance!

7. hayrullah

hayrullah New Member

hello

hello.me and my wıfe are lıvıng ın turkey.she ıs polısh and ı m turkısh.and we have baby around 7 mounths.we are marrıed around 1.5 years.we would lıke to go uk thıs comıng summer when the baby stop drınkıng mılk.my questıon ıs when we go uk can ı work fırst before my wıfe or just ı can work wıth famıly permıt.and ıf ı can work,when ı gıve my passport for resıdence permıt or card to home offıce for couple mounths,how ı can proof my ıd for bank or changıng job,shortly ın case of emergeny.thank you for your help

8. sikonc

sikonc New Member

Re: READ THIS! Filing for UK Residency (EEA 1/2 or 3/4 forms

Hi, I am new here, but i would like to ask you some questions which worries me a lot.
    My husband's viza is expiring on 29 of Feb 2008, so we need to apply for the forms (EEA1-for me, and EEA2-for him). Unfortunately, for the EEA1 i must been working 12 months under Work Registration. But this is going to be only on 26 of March 2008.
    So, means I can not apply for EEA1, and my husband's viza expires 29 of February and he can not apply for EEA2.
    In addition, I registrated (Work Registration) on 20 of Dec 2006, but during this time I has changed my employer, so about 2 months i didn't work. My 12 months employment will be only on 26 on March 2008.

So, my question would be: What should I do in my case? Should I apply for the FRMS first or we can apply for EEA1 and EEA2 stright away?
    But if i send our passports with FRMS form how could i send them on March to apply for the EEA1?
    Please help me to sort this problem and thank you so much. Sorry about my English.

P.S. For how long FRMS is issued?

Thanks again for answer

9. polskasweetie

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    Please be aware that this is a sticky and is meant for informational piurposes only. Should you have questions, please feel free to open a topic so others may read and reply accordingly. I suggest you do a search first as more often than not, your question may have been answered before already.