Forum Russia

Forum of expats in Russia: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Public Transportation in Russia

Discussion in 'Russia' started by texkourgan, Jul 4, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello -

What public transportation is available in Russia? Is it easy to move about the cities and country at large? What modes of transport are available: Bus? Underground/Subway? Trams? Trains? :confused:

Do you use public transportation in Russia? Can you recommend it? Is it safe, inexpensive, and reliable? What is your experience? How much is a basic fare? Is there a monthly card, or discount options?

Thank you for sharing your tips, questions and advice!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tonyfitz

tonyfitz New Member

City:
    Helsinki
    Living In:
    Finland
    Nationality:
    New Zealander (NZ)
    Languages:
    English, Japanese (very basic)
    Public transport in Russia (especially Moscow in my experience) is excellent.

The Metro system would have to be up there among the best in the world in terms of ease of use. There is a single price ticket structure so doesn't matter if you are going 1 station or from 1 end of the metro to the other it is the same price (about 30 pyr per ticket).

When we passed through Moscow again last month, they now have a multi pass or something like that, I guess similar to most other metro systems where you book credit on your card and just swipe as you go.

The trains run every 2-3 minutes from every station MAX... so you are never waiting for long. In the 6 months we lived in Moscow earlier this year, I never experienced stoppages, delays, slow trains or anything of the sort (which we had to put up with all the time over a week of using the London Underground). Generally ticket queues are short as it is a simple pricing structure so people are just buying a set amount of tickets not working out how much it is going to cost them to get from A to B.

While the general feel of the Metro may put most people off I can't praise it highly enough, it is fast, efficient, cheap and safe and all of the platforms are works of art in themselves.

In the last year I have experienced the metro systems of Moscow, London, Helsinki and now in Tokyo and I would rate the Moscow metro better overall then any of them, sure the others have some obvious good points but as a package The Metro can't be beat.

The bus system while reasonably efficient can be subject to traffic issues and it is sometimes a case of having to know when it is more efficient to actually jump off the bus and walk to your next stop or final destination, but once you master that skill they are still a cheap and efficient means of transport.

In tandem with the public buses are some private mini-bus things (can't remember what they are called), but they may have been outlawed by now. They are something else, again a good cheap and efficient way of getting around, but really you are taking your safety into your own hands the moment you step into one of these, I am sure they are pretty much unregulated (hence the reason to try and make them illegal) and are often dodgy as hell. Some times you can be jammed in like sardines and if you are unfamiliar with where you are going or Russian language you are best to avoid these.

Taxis in Moscow can be expensive as traffic is so bad you can spend hours just sitting, so unless you know it is a good traffic day I'd stick to public transport.
    I don't know much about long distance train travel, but believe like most of these things in Russia it will be highly efficient (maybe not overly comfortable, but you could bet on the efficiency).

If for no other reason, check out the Metro to take in the stations, especially those on the Red line (the original line), you won't be disappointed. You can buy the one ticket and get on and off the train at each station as long as you don't go out of the station you are free to ride to where ever you want next.

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Wow :clap:
    Many many thanks tonyfitz for all the details of your prime experience. :thumbup:

Yes, surely the metro in Moscow must be quite an experience and i guess some statiosn are impressive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...