Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish Citizenship Confirmation [Part3]

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by EasyExpat, Feb 8, 2009.

1. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    I wrote a reply but it seems to have disappeared. Make sure the documents you get issued by the Province have a signature and a seal by the issuing deputy - request a certified copy. That should do it. That's what the lawyer I am using in Poland was able to accept and get translated over there.

If you want to apply directly in Warsaw I would be careful though. You may have to get the document verified in a Polish consulate in Canada. I wouldn't risk not doing that. The consulate will also have to approve of the translation you make of any Canadian issued documents as well. To be honest if you are going to the consulate anyways I would let them submit it to Warsaw for you - you aren't going back very far in family history to have it confirmed so they may be good at a simple process like that. I would be worried that you'll show up in Warsaw and the case worker you speak to will be difficult or request another document from you and you'll be stuck.

2. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Sounds like a renewal is in order? I would phone the nearest Polish consulate and ask them this question. They'll probably want to see the documents and verify with records somewhere that the passport is authentic.

3. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Auspol how did your whole situation turn out? Were you successful this was quite awhile ago. POLARON seems like a rip off. I know this is old but there are other good options out there (and based in Poland too).

4. BlueJays2k15

BlueJays2k15 New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Hey guys, just got my confirmation of Polish citizenship. :D

Here's the timeline:
    I personally went to Warsaw at end of May 2015. Registered my birth for Polish birth certificate.
    Less than 2 weeks later the Polish birth certificate was ready for pick up.
    I got someone to go to Warsaw to get it and apply for my confirmation of Polish citizenship.
    They went middle of July and 1 month later she got the letter back with the confirmation.

It wasn't that bad of a process. When I went to get my Polish birth certificate registered, the people were all super nice. The person who did the 2nd step was also surprised how easy and nice the people were to her. I will admit it, my case was very straight forward, since my mom is Polish and I had all the required documents.

The next step is to apply for the Pesel and then passport?

How long does each take and can I apply for a temporary passport too?

I'm in Canada btw.

Thanks for everyone that helped me and also to CuriousGeorge who left a great post a few years ago.

5. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Congatulation! :clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MyNameisJeff

MyNameisJeff New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Confirmation of Polish citizenship through consulate vs lawyer based in Poland?

My case seems pretty straight forward since I has born in Poland to both Polish parents and left for Canada when I was like three. I have some documents like my children's Polish passport from 89 , the long form of my birth certificate which I recently received from the consulate, my fathers Polish passport which expired in 2012 and my moms old Polish passport from the 80's.

I have visited a few consulate websites looking for information about processing times and found some information on the Washington one which gives me an idea how processing times might be in Canada "Procedure takes usually 8-12 months from submission of the complete application to one of the Provincial Governor Office (Wojewoda) in Poland."

I was wondering if the processing time could be shortened with the help of a lawyer based in Poland. I've emailed a few lawyers from law firms CK Law Office and Krzysztof Banek. Also Polaron but they were way too expensive.

I got a price quote ranging between 500 and 800 Canadian dollars which I find pretty reasonable and I may be willing to pay if it will cut the processing significantly.

Krzysztof Banek said it could take up to 3 months and requests 50% up front plus official fees while CK Law said I can pay them at the end when I receive my certificate.

If anyone has some info or advice or would just like to share a similar experience that would be much appreciated.

Thnx in advance :)

7. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    I guess that depends.

1. Do you have an address in Poland that you trust to answer questions or receive your documents at? (family or friends?).
    2. Are you able to speak and write Polish?
    3. Do you have any Canadian issued documents (marriage certificate?) that you need to get officially translated in Polish?

Your case does sound super simple. You are already a citizen if you had a passport and they just want to check to make sure your passport isn't a forged one - probably a quick check in the archives of when and where it was issued. You probably still need to get your parents Canadian marriage certificate submitted as well unless they've already registered their marriage in Poland (Translated (if it is from Canada)). If it is from Poland even better. If you can speak and write Polish and you have an address to use I wouldn't bother spending the money unless you don't want to go through the hassle of filling out the application form and submitted documents yourself... etc. It will likely be slower though if there are issues/questions.

I had a more complicated case and it took about 3 months using KB once it was submitted - and a month or so extra for them to get translations and submit the application. They submitted to Warsaw w/ filled out application in mid March and I had my letter of confirmation digitally by Mid June. They were super helpful and communicative. Since you have a Polish BC already, all you need is the letter of confirmation to apply for your passport at the consulate (assuming you already have a PESEL #, check your passport or w/ the local consulate).. .

8. MyNameisJeff

MyNameisJeff New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    I do have an address of family members in Poland.

I can speak Polish but I cant read or write it.

I'm not married ,I think the only Canadian document I would need translated is my Canadian citizenship card.

My parents were married in Poland so I would need to get that document as they cant find it.

9. MyNameisJeff

MyNameisJeff New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Is it going to be a problem if I don't have my parents marriage certificate? Because they say they cant find it.

10. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Who is they? Can you not order one from the government - it had to have been registered somewhere? You may have to unless it was registered and is on record there.

11. Skorz

Skorz New Member

City:
    Austin
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Quick check!

I would love to obtain my Polish passport; I have strong Polish ancestry, but there are a few details that leave me uncertain. Here is my situation in a nutshell:

Great-Grandparents both born in Poland
    * Great Grandparents immigrate to the United States after 1920
    * My Grandmother is born in 1937 (Not 100% sure of where she was born, but I believe it was the USA)
    * My grandmother marries my grandfather (a U.S citizen).
    * My mother is born in 1957

From what I've been reading, the important details are with my Grandmother. If she was born in the United States, and was therefore a US citizen, that makes me ineligible, correct? Alternatively, if she was born in Poland but naturalized before 1951, this also makes her ineligible? This is one thing I haven't been able to find out 100%.

Alternatively, marrying my grandfather also makes me ineligible if that was done before 1951, correct?

I can easily find answers to these missing questions, I am just floating a trial balloon right now to find out what subtleties in my situation would make or break this exciting possibility! I am willing to hire professional help in this matter as well.

Thank you!

12. elliotpiano

elliotpiano New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Polski
    If I were to have my Polish citizenship confirmed, am I required to get a Polish passport or would they have any idea if I enter Poland with my U.S. passport as long as I'm staying under 90 days?

13. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Legally you are supposed to identify yourself to Polish authorities (including customs) as Polish if you are a Polish citizen. That's the official line anyways. Many people have posted that they still come and go on their US or Canadian passport without troubles as the guards don't know you are actually a citizen and they just scan your US passport. But why become a citizen and not follow through w/ the passport? That's the best document to prove it.

14. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Re: Quick check!

You need to fill in the missing details find out where your grandmother was born and more details on when they married. If your great-grandparents became American prior to the birth of your grandmother than you're out of luck. Also prior to 1951 females couldn't pass on their citizenship unless unmarried. You have a key CRITICAL bits of information you need to fill in. I don't think she lost her Polish at marriage prior to 1951 but the line would have to come from him.

Since it goes back to your great-grandparents and what documents you have to prove their Polish line. Old passport etc? That may be the most critical factor going back that far no matter what. Any docs from your grandmother?

See this link. polish-citizenship-eligibility-through-polish-ancestry-t18234.html

You'd also have to get all the docs from your grandmother and mother which should be easier if in the USA. Check the 'polish citizenship law' Wikipedia page and look up if your grandmother would have lost citizenship marrying your grandfather at that date.

You are out of luck if your mother was born after your (possibly) Polish born grandmother nationalized on her own as a American before 1951.

15. LeafontheWind

LeafontheWind New Member

City:
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English, some Spanish, a little Polish
    I am the granddaughter of two Polish immigrants. My grandparents journey during WWII brought them to Canada via a Siberian work camp, fighting for the allies in North Africa and Italy, resettlement in the UK and eventually immigration to Canada. Because of this journey many documents are missing but I have Polish military (Polish ATS for my Babcia) documents, and travel/immigration documents.

Has anyone in the forum applied for confirmation of Polish citizenship through the Washington DC embassy recently? It seems like the process is quite different depending on what country you live in and what consulate you go through. I already have completed the application in Polish and gathered all the documents I have. It's a six hour drive for me to DC and I want to get all the info I can before I make the trip.

Some of my questions include...
    Can I have a family member translate English documents into Polish and have the consulate just "certify" them? If not how do I find a "certified translator"?
    Do I need to apply for a Polish birth certificate first? Is this even possible since I wasn't born in Poland? (it keeps coming up in forums).
    Will the consulate really keep my original documents? There are some fragile wartime records that I can't lose. Does this mean getting additional copies of my and my parents birth certificates?
    My Polish language skills are almost non-existant, will the consulate be able to help me in English of do I need to try to bring my dad along as translator?

I'm speaking to the consulate later today but am trying to get all the inside info I can! Any other recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Melanie

p.s. Should this be a new thread or am I ok piggybacking on this thread?

16. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english

Hi Melanie you have a lot of information here. If you read the past few pages of this thread you will find a lot of answers to your questions but i can try to help as a start.

I see you have documents from your grandparents - immigration and travel. Who issued these? Are they Polish issued? Poland documents are key with supporting docs from other countries. You may have to obtain some more information from archives if possible. Provide more info on those.

Proceedures have been standarized no matter what consul you apply through. I see you are in Toronto? Why not apply via there? Check the New York or Toronto consulate page for confirmation of citizenship details of what to submit. You also need a power of attorney in Poland these days as the Polish government has stopped sending documents overseas. There are polish lawyers you can use and pay for this. They will also apply on your behalf for more money. It is what i used.

You need translated documents verified by the consul if you do not apply via a lawyer in Poland. The time you pay for the verification per document you may almost be at the cost of a lawyer in Poland. I just let mine handle the translation and they verified it themselves as legal folks. I dont speak much Polish so it was very handy to have them do it.

You can not apply for a Polish birth certificate until you get the letter saying they confirm you are a citizen. After that letter you apply for a Polish BC -they keep your non-polish one so you need to get an official copy made. After you get the BC then you applu for a PESEL #. And then when you have all three of these documents you apply for a passport via your local consol. You will need to show them all of these documents.

You will also need to submit original documents of the family birth and marriage records to prove you link to your grandparents. These should be verified copies issued officially from the local gov. Are you in the USA? If so you may need to Appostile them (more money). If in canada you do not need to. Again i applied via a polish lawyer and they skipped all this and verified it themselves being legal folks in Poland. Any documents you can get copies of you should. You will have peace of mind. As to your sensitive documents you will need to submit them. The consulate sends all documents to Poland if you go via that route (i think). That is something you need to ask them. I sent my senstitive docs to lawyer in Poland and they made certified copies and submitted the copies only. They kept the docs in case questions were asked. They then couriered all docs back to me.

Read the thread here for the past few pages. Youll get info. Otherwise feel free to ask questions and i can try to help. It is a long process but was quite fun at the same time. Polish issued documents are key.

Cheers

17. LeafontheWind

LeafontheWind New Member

City:
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English, some Spanish, a little Polish
    Thank you for the information Polcankram. I used to live in Canada but I now live in the states and the D.C. consulate is my "local" consulate. I did spend many hours reading this forum and others but sometimes information seems to contradict. I've decided that applying through a consulate sounds way too slow and difficult and am trying to find a lawyer in Warsaw to help with the process.

Can you give me any helpful advice on working with a lawyer internationally. A recommendation would be great or an idea of the ranges of fees that are normal. I'm brand new to this and don't want to do something stupid. I do have cousins in Poland who can hold onto important documents etc... And I'm planning a trip to Poland this summer too.

18. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    See private message

19. mschol

mschol New Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    Polski, Angielski, Francuski
    Responding to the questions about dealing with ''lawyers'' here in Poland for confirmation of citizenship I have a few thoughts.
    1. It can be a long and difficult process, choose your 'local partner' wisely.
    2. I was told 6 years ago by a well known Polish ''law office'' (CK) it was not possible for me and followed his advice naively. I ultimately did it on my own since I believed in my birthright and successfully obtain confirmation.
    3. Lawyers are needed only for those cases where you will need representation in challenging a decision from a court of Polish law, <0.01% of actual cases for confirming citizenship. (Meaning you do not need a lawyer to represent you to deliver docs or other evidence supporting your Polish citizenship). Different than in the USA or other common law countries where an immigration may be needed to help with visas or work permits, etc.
    4. I formed my own practice to deliver results without stressing my clients and work the same as I did on my own case.

20. valleywanderer

valleywanderer New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi all,

I wasn't sure whether to ask here, or post a new topic but I have a basic question I'm unclear on (attempting to determine ancestry eligibility).

My Polish grandfather never joined the military upon arriving in the U.S., but his son (my dad) joined the National Guard (reserves, meaning they weren't sent overseas - he was trying to avoid the Vietnam War). Does this break the Polish citizenship line?

I'm not sure if my grandfather ever naturalized as a US citizen. He died when my dad was a teenager, so getting documents and details is a huge pain. But I just wanted to determine if the military would be a deciding "no" factor so that I would know not to pursue it.

Thank you very much.