Forum USA

Forum of expats in the USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Planning Your Move to the USA

Discussion in 'USA' started by texkourgan, Jun 23, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome!

Are you planning to move to the USA and are worried about the moving process? One of the first steps to succeed with your expatriation is to properly prepare yourself for the move.

How should you arrange the move? Can you do-it-yourself with help from friends, or do you need help from a professional international mover?

What do you plan to take and to leave? Will you need all your furniture, or will it be easier/cheaper to buy most things once you have arrived? Are electrical appliances compatible to the USA?

How can you bring your car? Is it worth it?

What tips and advice can you share with us about your move to the USA? If you are preparing for your move currently – what questions do you have? If you have already completed a move – what are your tips?

We also recommend following our series "The Move to America" as Molly details the process of moving to the States. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ezhilan

Ezhilan New Member

City:
    Bangalore
    Living In:
    India
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi,
    Once I moved from India to the US, I planned properly about my move. Surely I need my furniture and all my belongings, so I want to go with the relocation company. I do not know any relocation company and get some relocation advice for a company. They helped me to go with the best mover in the world and I am happy with my move.

While selecting the mover company, look at the pricing rate for each product, insurance percentage and the responsiveness to the clients. At least get the quotation from 3 to 4 moving company and plan your move.

3. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Member

City:
    Bern
    Living In:
    Switzerland
    Nationality:
    Ukrainian (UA)
    Languages:
    English, Deutsch, Russian
    It would be nice to hear more stories from the ones who moved to USA. How it was, how long, how expencive, what is the best place to move. Participating in green card lottery. Hope I'll be lucky.

4. Astarta

Astarta New Member

Living In:
    Ukraine
    Nationality:
    Ukrainian (UA)
    Languages:
    Ukrainian, Russian, English
    You can cut the cost of moving to the USA if using online services of filling US immigration forms. This website https://usimmigrationforms.com/ was more than helpful when my cousin applied for green card for his parents. He has lived in California for 10 years. He had to sell all his property in Ukraine (3-room apartment in Kiev). He was educated as engineer but for 3 years he worked as a shop-assistant. He was studying all the time and was at last lucky enough to get the job in IT.

5. Dragert

Dragert New Member

City:
    Cincinnati
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish
    Planning is definitely important and can save you from a lot of potential headaches when moving, that's for sure. We hired a moving company two years ago when we moved and this article from their website https://threemenandatruck.net/three-men-and-a-trucks-guide-to-preparing-for-the-best-move/ was very helpful in keeping us organized and on task. It's easy to underestimate how much there is to do, especially if you're moving long distance and being able to have everything laid out was key in helping us stay on top of everything.