Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Permanent residency in uk

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Capo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Capo

Capo Member

Hi everyone!!
    I came in uk uk in 2004 as a student, I have finish a degree course by 2008 and the same year I got married with my girlfriends a EU national.
    I would like to know if I can apply for a permanent residency in uk as I have lived here continuously for five years or should I wait for my residency card of five year expire before applying for a permanent residency.
    This what the home office say about permanent residency; does it apply to me or not??????

"After you have lived in the United Kingdom for a continuous period of five years you can apply for confirmation of your permanent residence. You will need to have been living in the United Kingdom and in employment, self-employment, studying or self-sufficient throughout the five-year period."
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/applyingundereuropeanlaw/

Please help me.
    Many thanks!!!![/url]

2. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    The time before the marriage does not count, because you were not here under European law (the sentence about studying applies only to European citizens). So you can apply for PR 5 years after you got married, even if your residence card is still valid.

3. Capo

Capo Member

Thanks a lot thsths

Just what I thought.
    Many thanks for your help thsths