Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Obtaining French Dual Citizenship via Descent

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by ChantalD, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ChantalD

ChantalD Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    Hello
    My dad is a French Citizen (resides in the US on a Green Card for almost 48 years.. married a US Citizen). When I was born he registered me with the appropriate French governmental office as required. When I turned 18, he never went through and obtained a French passport for me.. the cost was an issue at that time..
    18 years later.. I'd like to get my french passport..(keeping my American one as well).. What are the steps needed for this...?

It is hard to find out online what needs to be done.. Should he call the French consulate in NYC and inquire there? If someone has been through this specific process (french parent, registered birth etc) and can share the steps.. that would be great.. What I'm reading online seems to indicate in person interviews, in French, with governmental officials etc... and my French language skills are not up to this...
    IF this is possible.. then I'd also like to take the needed steps to register MY children with the appropriate French office to convey french citizenship to them as well..

thanks!

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello,

I assume that it is similar to all French consulate in the world.
    You should get the information at the Consulate in Washington (no longer in NYC).
    It says:
    So basically you will need:
    - your full birth certificate showing the name of parents
    - the full birth certificate of your mother
    - the full birth certificate of your father
    - copy of passport of parents...
    and a few other things (you'll find the list HERE)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ChantalD

ChantalD Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    Thanks..my mother is deceased...I'm not sure we have a passport for her. The link is helpful. Thank you

4. ChantalD

ChantalD Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    In case someone is searching about this topic and happens across this post, I thought I'd update.
    The whole process was much easier than anticipated, since I was already registered in my father's family book. I was able to use the online form to obtain my French birth certificate with filiation from the Civil office in France. The copy was free and got here within a week of my request.
    I then made an appointment with the French Consulate in NYC (it takes weeks to get an appointment.. however I was able to get a last minute cancellation appointment
    Taking my French birth certificate, my US passport, my marriage license (as my last name had changed), 2 passport photos, and a copy of my most recent tax bill. I was able to obtain my ID Card
    Interestingly, I could have just applied for my French Passport.. an ID card is not needed before one does that.. however.. I did not realize this until the appointment was almost done.. and by then I could not switch from an ID card application to a Passport application.

5. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Many thanks for the update. Much appreciated :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...