Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN ****Non EU married to EU national moving to France ****

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by Highbuzzer, May 10, 2008.

1. Highbuzzer

Highbuzzer New Member

I am an Australian citizen married to a Belgium citizen. We have been living in Australia for the past 7 years and married for 8 years and now we want to move to France. He has a Belgium passport and I have an Australian passport. Do I require a visa before moving to France?
    I contacted the French consulate here in Australia. When I contacted them 6months ago to start preparing for our move they said:
    “ because I am married to an EU citizen I dont require a visa but when i arrive in France I need to apply for a "carte de sejour" to be able to live and work there”
    Then I contacted the French consulate again last week to double check and they have said “yes i need to apply for a short stay visa before moving to france and when I have to go to the prefecture and ask for a permis de travail.”
    I couldn’t believe it – the complete opposite to what I was told.
    My questions are:
    1. I was told to apply for a short stay via (90days), but if my plan is to live there why am I applying for a short stay visa?
    2. What is required to apply for a “permis de travai”? Is it difficult to get?
    3. What is the process for me to move to France? I apply for the short stay visa here in Australia, and then when we arrive in France I apply for a “carte de sejour” and “permis de travail” to be able to live and work there?
    4. My aim is to get a job in France. I have spoken to a headhunter in France and they have processed my CV/resume but I have not had a response from clients. What if I don’t get a job before I leave to France will this cause problems for me to work there? I have read that in order to work in France I have to have a company to sponsor me. Is this true?

Any help on this would be much appreciated...

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    You should remember never to take the embassy/consulate people seriously. Its not just the French consulate there in your place, they are all ( or at least most of them ) the same. They know nothing about something called 'customer service' because they are not answerbale for it. Regarding your questions, I would suggest you go for the quickest way to get a visa to France, no matter short-term or long-term. Once you are there, you can apply for an extension and you have got every right to that under EU law. The job offer from France is irrelevant i.e NOT needed for your visa application because you are applying under the family member category. As long as you are married to your Belgian husband, you don't need anything else to get a visa because your right to move to and live and work in France ( or any other EU member country ) comes from your marriage to a Belgian citizen and its not the usual route of getting a work permit.

I hope this helps

Good luck

3. Highbuzzer

Highbuzzer New Member

Thank you for replying! I am feeling so much more positive about this whole move.
    Once I succeed through this whole process I will make sure I let you all know how it works to help those of you who wondering how the system works...