Forum Jamaica

Community of expats Jamaica: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

Register  -  Login  -  FAQ

Advanced search  - Search the whole website

User's Charter

Language:
Stay connected

New Members in Jamaica: Welcome!

Forum جامايكا, Jamaika, Jamaica, Jamaïque, Τζαμάικα, ジャマイカ, Giamaica, Jamaica, Jamajka, Jamaica, Ямайка, 牙买加, 牙買加: جامايكا, Jamaika, Jamaica, Jamaïque, Τζαμάικα, ジャマイカ, Giamaica, Jamaica, Jamajka, Jamaica, Ямайка, 牙买加, 牙買加

New Members in Jamaica: Welcome!

Postby texkourgan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:55 am

Hello and welcome to EasyExpat.com -

This topic is specifically dedicated to new comers in Jamaica. We invite you to introduce yourself here!

Why have you come here? Is it for internship? Studies? A job? Or simply in order to discover new lands?

If you have already secured a job, how did you find it? How long do you think you will stay in Jamaica?

How was your move? What happened for your first steps here?

What was the easiest thing / the most difficult to adapt to?

Thanks in advance for your answers and here’s to a good discussion! 8-)
texkourgan

Back in Berlin!

City: Berlin
Nationality: United States (us)
Living in: Germany
Languages: English, a little Deutsch

Re: New Members in Jamaica: Welcome!

Postby vanessar » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:32 am

Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum and thought that I would kick off this conversation. Originally from the U.S., where I still travel back and forth between and Montego Bay, I absolutely love JA! Great weather, food, culture and vibe.

I own an online business and so have the ability to live and work anywhere there is internet connectivity. I have heard that it is fairly difficult to get work permits in JA, and so if anyone is interested, there is another way :)

You definitely have to adapt to the (crazy) driving, slow-motion culture and language, as well is avoiding "tourist" rates for any and everything that you purchase, but just make some trustworthy local friends and they can and will look out for you!

Look forward to hearing more from the group...

Vanessa

vanessar

Living in: Jamaica
Languages: English

Re: New Members in Jamaica: Welcome!

Postby texkourgan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Hello & welcome Vanessa!

Thanks for kicking off this thread. Hopefully you will be able to connect with some other like-minded expats. :D

I also encourage you to connect with expats in Jamaica through the network and checking out expat blogs in Jamaica. We recently featured an interview with 2 Canadian expats in Jamaica, as well as our interview with "Jamaica My Way".

Absolutely best of luck in the islands and I look forward to more of your posts.
texkourgan

Back in Berlin!

City: Berlin
Living in: Germany
Languages: English, a little Deutsch