Forum France

Forum of expats in France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Naturalization by Descent - Canadian with French grandparent

Discussion in 'France' started by abenteau2015, Jan 6, 2016.

1. abenteau2015

abenteau2015 New Member

City:
    St. John's
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English, French
    Hi everyone.

I'm considering trying to apply for French citizenship/nationality at some point due to my French roots. I know many of you will tell me that it is not possible to become naturalized based on a grandparent, but I have heard of some rare instances where it has happened. I am looking for people who have similar stories that might be able to help me plan and find information.

Here's the story: I'm from Newfoundland in Canada, territory which was once controlled by France. My grandfather was French from St. Pierre, and his parents were also. I have his birth certificate, marriage certificate, and passport, as well as my great grandmother's birth certificate. I believe some of my relatives have other documents.

I have a friend of a friend who told me that the residency requirement for French naturalization can be waived for Canadians due to the shared history, and she is currently pursuing this route with an immigration lawyer. I have also found interesting info here which seems to confirm that possibility: http://www.consulfrance-montreal.org/Pr ... ation,1141

I know I will need an immigration lawyer at some point but hoping to determine the possibility before shelling out hundreds of euro.

Thanks!

Andrew