Forum Ireland

Forum of expats in Ireland: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by imi, May 4, 2006.

1. imi

imi New Member

Hi
    my wife and i would like to move to ireland. she is a british national and i am a zimbabwean.we are both living in africa at the moment. i understand as far as i've read that i should just apply for a holiday visa/vist.my problem is what do we i use as proof of accommodation as i plan to rent apartment there. and does my wife have to be working immediatly when we get there for me to get residence!!?and how long is the visa given for..and how long should i say i need?
    any info will be much appreciated

thanks---imi

2. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    People entering Ireland as non -EU married to UK or other EU nationals usually get 3 months visitors visa,unless they hold themselves 5 year permit.Once visa has been granted they can enter the state,letter usually accompany the visa stating they should report to within 3 months to Justice Dept.

Once the holder of the EU/UK passport has a acommodation and a job further application follows which would give all the rights to non-EU CITIZEN.Takes few weeks.

Justice DEPT
    EUROPEAN SECTION,
    3RD FLOOR
    13-14 BURGH QUAY
    DUBLIN 2

3. imi

imi New Member

nice one!

thanks for the info.so if i can book accom over there from here can i?
    so my wife HAS to Be WORKING before we can apply.and do i tell the irish embassy im going on holiday only or that i plan to settle over there?
    what about having sufficient funds to prove we'l keep ourselves from not draining the govt or soscial services till we find jobs!

4. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English