Forum Milan

Forum of expats in Milan: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Milan

Discussion in 'Milan' started by 0, Jan 30, 2003.

1. 0

0 Guest

Hi!
    I have heard that we will probably be moving to Milan for a 4 year posting in a few months time.
    After looking around on the internet, I have had most of my questions asked but still have a few left.

What are the internet connections like there? Do they have Broadband in Italy or is it still 56K?

Are flats/houses equipped with Air conditioning as I hear it can get quite hot and muggy there?

Thanks in advance for your help with these questions.

Damian Whitehouse

2. 0

0 Guest

Lucky you to move to Milan! ;-)

Of course they have broadband!!! A simple search using www.yahoo.it or www.virgilio.it. Prices are about 120 euros for the modem only but it will be discounted with a global subscription. Telecom Italia has several offers between 50 and 80 euros depending on the speed (if you want 128 Kbps or 512 Kbps).

Regarding the air conditionning....hmmmm Milan is not New York ;-)
    Cheers

3. 0

0 Guest

Hi there,

To respond to you quickly about the milan's installation broadband, don't care, there is the cable (Fastweb Italia), the xDsl (in 128, 512, 1024kbits/s) ans also the dial-up connection as 56kbits/s.

I'm living in Milan since 2month to work as journalist, and life is beautiful here.
    Girls are smily, nicy and what voice !!

The language is the most nicy i've ever listen !
    In fact, it's very difficult to speak any language italian, english and french (i'm french). So i do short !
    So, if you want to discuss about another things, let me a mail.
    And when you'll come to Milan, tell me, i can help you cause at the beginning it's a few hard to find a appartment, to meet people and anything else.

See you,

Amaury

4. 0

0 Guest

Thanks guys for all your help. Hopefully if everything goes okay then we shall be there in the beginning of April. Really looking forward to it as we have spent 4 years in Pakistan and 1 year in Libya so now we are looking forward to spending a nice time in a 1st world country.

Damian

5. charlene

charlene New Member

I am moving to Milan in June to be a nanny, I'm living in Ga. now. I'd love to have friends in Europe!!

6. charlene

charlene New Member

I have never been to Italy Can anyone tell me what to expect? I will be living in a flat in the center of Milan or so I have been told???

7. 0

0 Guest

Hiya,
    Good news: you are at the right place!
    First of all read carefully this website as you will find a lot of useful information about Milan.
    Second, do not hesitate to post specific questions in a new topics when you want information about accommodation, night live, restaurant, jobs, etc... I am sure that expats living in Milan would be delighted to answer.
    Good luck
    Cyril

8. 0

0 Guest

Hi Charlene,

I'd like to help you cause I'm living in Milan since 6 months now, i like very much this city.
    It's better that you ask me about you preoccupations and so, I'll answer you.
    See you,

Amaury

9. gaelle

gaelle Active Member

City:
    Milano
    Living In:
    Italy
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français
    Buongiorno a tutti
    Hello everyone
    bonjour à tous
    !!!
    Sorry but I don't speak english fluently so : french ! Sorry again !!!

Amaury tu m'intéresse énormément (en tt bien tt honneur évidemment !) puisque j'ai l'intention de m'installer à milan début octobre ; j'ai besoin de qq conseils et j'aimerais vraiment rester en contact avec toi . Je ne suis pas un pot de colle rassure-toi , ms pr une fois que je trouve qn qi habite milan ...!oufff !!!
    Merci pr la réponse ...
    Gaelle

10. 0

0 Guest

Oui volontiers mais laisse ton mail pour que nous puissions poursuivre hors liste.
    le mien est inscrit au dessus.
    Ciao Gaelle

11. 0

0 Guest

hi there my name is sharon and i am an au-pair in milan.

12. 0

0 Guest

Hi all.

I have now been in Milan for 2 months.

After looking around endless apartments in Milan, I finally moved to Arese which is about 20kms outside Milan. What a wonderful place Milan is. I am here for at least the next 3 years with my wife.

Only downside to it all????? Damn Mosquitoes:grrr:lol!

13. DaveM

DaveM New Member

Hello there,

Im going to be relocating to milan for two years from september, just after some really basic info. What areas would anyone reccomend to get a flat, i'd like to be close to city centre if possible and to bars/restaurants/clubs.
    Also how much would i be looking at for a fairly modest two bed appartment in any of these areas. And finally....!!! What is the best way to go about actually finding a flat to rent upon arrival? (agency/newspaper/net. etc!)

Answers wuold be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks

14. 0

0 Guest

Hi Dave,

We moved here to Milan in May. We had to find a place also. We found that an apartment in Milan with 2 bedrooms will set you back between €1500 and €2000. These prices usually include a levy and possibly a box (garage).
    We found that the quality of the flats we looked around was poor to average.

As for looking around for flats, there a couple of ways. The main way is to use an letting agency. The only downside to is that you will have to pay a commission. With us it turned out to be about a months rent.
    The other way is to look in the English speaking community magazines that are distributed here in Milan. One is called "Hello Milano" and the other is "Easy Milano" I think. Both have listings of properties available for rent. You can also place a wanted ad for free if needed. One of them has a website. It is www.easymilano.it

We found it is actually nicer to live on the outskirts of Milan. There a couple of areas that are quite nice called Milano tre and Arese. Both are nice and quiet and have a foreign community. The public transport in and around Milan is good and cheap so where-ever you decided to live there should'nt be a problem to get in and out of the city.

Anyway, if there is anything else you need to know, you can either post another message or you can e-mail me at damianwh@yahoo.com

Cheers
    Damian Whitehouse

15. 0

0 Guest

Hi there,

I'm living in milan near the center from 6 month and to respond to Dave i think the best way to find a appartment is to ask at agency.

Because best place are dispatched only by the agency or by friends.
    And the best place at milan to live near the center with cheap charge are :

at north :
    - around the main station (Stazione Centrale)
    - at " isola " near via farini and the "Cimeterio Monumentale"

at south :
    - at "Bande Nero" and around
    - via washington and around

The monthly cost to a 3 parts of 90m², via farini in old building is between 800E à 1100E.

And i think it's better to speak italian in this country. ;-)
    Good luck. :)
    See u. :wave: :wave: :wave:

[%sig%]

16. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    In addition, you can also consult:
    secondamano

It's a newspaper (and a website) with adverts about accommodation but also cars, etc. It's a bit like the Loot in London or Segundamano in Madrid. It will give you a good idea of offers and prices in Milan.

[%sig%]

17. Mark

Mark New Member

City:
    Milan
    Living In:
    Italy
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi,

I've been living and working in Milan for almost 4 months and could have done with finding this website a few months ago. At least, I would have then been armed with several plug-in anti-mosquito devices for each room and particularly the bedroom.

Whilst I'm on line, I was wondering whether there was some sort of expat organisation in Milan (in particular expat lawyers). I'm on secondment from an English firm for another few months and, if there is such an organisation, I'd like to pass on the details to the next secondee.

I hope that Dave, Damian, Amaury and everyone else on-line have settled into Milan well.

All the best,

Mark

18. uggo

uggo New Member

City:
    paris
    Im Moving to Milan

Hi my name is Hugo Vela and Im moving to Milan int three weeks (sept 2003). Im looking for a cheep apartment or for a roomate so we can share the bill. Thanks and I will really appreciate any information about the city, the weather there and some places to have fun.

19. 0

0 Guest

I just moved to Milan last week to teach at the American School. i'M from Burlington, Vermont. I am twenty six years old. I would love to meet some friends in Europe too. Drop me a line if anyone would like to hang out. Take care, Jarett

20. claire

claire Member

City:
    MADRID
    Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English, Español, Italiano, Français
    Re: From NY

What's up everyone,
    I'm a 27 year old native New yorker in town for the next 2 and half months. I am working as an au pair. I am really looking to hook up with some people to chill with, I am bored out of my head! Please give me the down low on this city and what there is to do. I have all day free since the girls I work with are in school all day, I would love to find work during those hours, have any suggestions?? If you're down to chill, have a coffee, please get in touch,
    >Claire