Forum Istanbul

Forum of expats in Istanbul: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Istanbul from Seattle

Discussion in 'Istanbul' started by f1maniac, Nov 14, 2011.

1. f1maniac

f1maniac New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi Folks!
    I currently live in Seattle, USA and have been offered a job in Istanbul. I am a software architect and my salary here is 140K USD plus bonuses. I wanted to understand what an equivalent salary in Istanbul would be.

I have looked at some salary websites but was hoping for some advice from real people on what would be the cost of a comfortable lifestyle in Istanbul?

Thanks!

2. deniz

deniz New Member

City:
    Istanbul
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    Turkish (TR)
    Languages:
    Turkish, English
    Hi,

If you're moving here with the same salary - then you'll have an above average life style - Istanbul is very widely spread and depending on the neighborhood rent can be quite cheap or around 2-3,000 liras...
    If you tell me where your office is, and which neighborhood you plan on living - i should be able to give you more accurate info
    When it comes to day to day life...food is certainly cheaper than the US, nightlife (if you're into it) can be more expensive compared to the US
    Monthly utility bills come to approx 300 liras...cabs are around the same as NYC
    cell phones...they do have your typical monthly plans i.e. 1000 minutes per month costs around 70 liras - but dont have perks like 7pm to 7am free sort of deals
    so if you have around 2000 liras left after you've paid rent - then you'll have a comfortable life style
    thats all i can think of so far, feel free to let me know if you have any other questions

cheers,
    Deniz

3. f1maniac

f1maniac New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thanks Deniz. I have basically been offered a total package (including salary + bonuses + stock + housing) which matches my total package in the US. It's just over 300K liras per year. Based on your reply my wife and I should be pretty comfortable there?

4. deniz

deniz New Member

City:
    Istanbul
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    Turkish (TR)
    Languages:
    Turkish, English
    Certainly - good luck with everything!

5. Dominique Atay

Dominique Atay New Member

City:
    İstanbul
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, anglais , Turc et notions de Japonais
    Good morning ,

How are you ?

I am french and living in İstanbul for 14 years and I set up my company of Relocation services ( including moving services & home search .. ) .
    Do not hesitate to contact me if you decide to work in Turkey , istanbul ?

Best Regards

Mrs Dominique Atay

6. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    The Expat Guide to Istanbul is a great resource for people moving to Turkey. You should also consider checking out the expat network to find people in your area, or expat blogs in Turkey.

f1maniac -It has been some time since you posted. Have you completed your move? How have you found Istanbul?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...